C H A P T E R. III

2 days had passed as fast as lightning strikes, and the morning of the initiation was upon us. Draco's parents had spoken to us numerous times about what we were to expect and how to address the dark lord and all that shit we needed to know. But it had hardly calmed our nerves - mine anyways. I had hoped Draco and I remained as close as we were that day at Diagon Alley but he seemed distant with me - constantly reading a bunch on books to do with our history and probably preparing himself. Me on the other hand - I had found myself constantly doodling and writing out famous muggle poetry from my head. It was a nice past time - muggle literature; and something that was mostly accepted by most wizards - obviously not the dark lord. Which was largely ironic considering I was to meet him for the first time this afternoon. 

"Y/n darling? Are you up? I have laid you out a dress suitable for later, remember we must look presentable. Especially you." I hear Draco's mother call from another room.

"Yes, I'm up! Thank you, Mrs. Malfoy!"

"You're welcome, I will assist you with your hair in a few minutes."

"Woah that's fancy." I mumble to myself as I see the dress resting on the seat beside the door.

"Do you like?" I hear a posh voice speak from behind me. I look up to see Mr Malfoy leaning against the door frame. 

"It's so fancy. I just didn't know I had to get this dressed up to meet him."

"Yes, well I am eager to see what it looks like on." He says, tracing the hem of the fabric with his fingers - he lifts the bodice up slightly. "Even though it's slightly more conservative than what I had hoped. Should fit well nevertheless." He mutters slightly under his breath. "Narcissa's choice, what can I say. Always trying to protect children from a cruel world. She just doesn't understand you can't protect everyone." He says pronouncing every letter through his teeth. He looks up at me, shaking his head slightly in a disapproving way. "Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble It's quite out of character. I'm just worried about this afternoon that is all."

"Oh, of course, don't worry Mr Malfoy. It's going to be alright. We're hardly children anymore." I reassure him. He smiles slightly, a genuine smile, small, but real. I hadn't seen this side of him before - like actually human, I guess. But the anticipation has certainly gotten everyone out of character. He hands me the dress and walks into the corridor. I shut my door and start undressing. It was unusual for the Dark Lord to travel to places during the day but I guess having two new recruits from respected bloodlines would be slightly convincing to make a special trip. I slip into the dress and stare into the mirror.

"Looks lovely darling." Mrs Malfoy speaks from behind me.
"Yes, beautiful." An agreeing voice of Mr Malfoy says. Jeez, this family don't understand the concept of privacy. I wouldn't be surprised if they all decided to take a family gathering to watch me change just now. I smirk at my own thought before turning around to face them.

"It's pretty," I remark fiddling with the fabric of my dress.

"Pretty long." Mr Malfoy says under his breath in an unamused tone. "It looks childish."

"She is a child." Narcissa replies in a hushed tone.

"Well, that's not what the dark lord wants to see. A child." They whisper amongst themselves. I turn my head away awkwardly. "Why didn't you let me pick the dress. Unlike you, I know what the dark lord likes."