Deep Blue, But You Painted Me Golden

Katara sunk her body into the warm water of her bath. The porcelain tub was fancier than any of the ones in any of her modest homes. It was long and deep with golden feet. Unlike her tubs, though, this one didn't have a faucet. Two servants had to bring pales of hot water, which made her mildly uncomfortable, but they assured her it wasn't a problem. Katara assumed that fire benders were able to keep the water warm for extended periods, making bath time relaxing in faucet-less tubs. As it was, Katara's baths on the ship had to be somewhat quick.

As she closed her eyes and sunk deeper into the water, she thought about what it would be like to have her fire bender in the tub with her. She wouldn't even need Zuko to warm the water up with bending; she could think of other ways to keep them warm. A sly smile spread across Katara's face. She thought of the events that had transpired last night as she lightly scrubbed her body with a soapy cloth. The bruises and marks were gone, but the feeling of Zuko's hands and lips still lingered.

The blissful feeling of Zuko's soft, warm lips muttering into her collarbone wasn't something Katara could forget so easily. Had it all been real or some hazy dream that she'd wake up from with the next jolt of the ship? Katara didn't want to wake up if Zuko truly wanted her. After 7 years, she finally let herself give in to the temptation and terror of letting Zuko know her intimately, and it was... exquisite. He had been kind and gentle and loving until he was passionate, animalistic, and wild. She was so, so happy.

Katara dunked herself underwater. She needed to pull herself together. If she didn't maintain some level of social decorum today, she and Zuko would be known. While Katara wanted to scream from the mountaintops that her heart belonged with Zuko, she didn't know if she could yet. She knew he wanted her, but did he understand the implications? Never mind what the Tribal Council had to say about their relationship, what of Zuko's advisors, and the people of the Fire Nation. Katara wasn't so sure they'd take too kindly to a Water Bender stealing the affections of their Fire Lord. Still, Zuko was an idealist, Katara was a realist. His blind optimism was attractive, but it wouldn't help the push back Katara knew was inevitable. They had two weeks of bliss ahead of them before the real world caught up to them.

The air in her quarters chilled her to the bone as she emerged from the tub. She hadn't come in last night to close her windows. She shivered as she dressed. She'd give anything to be tangled in Zuko's sheets right now. His perma-warm body would pull hers against his. His hands would roam freely over her body, and she'd shiver even though she'd be the warmest she'd felt in a long time. Katara was used to the cold, she loved it, really. She never imagined a life without it, but in a surprising turn of events, her heart suddenly longed for heat.

The two women who fetched her water for her bath were now asking for her baggage. She really didn't like people helping her like this, especially when they were being paid to do so. The whole idea of servants just rubbed Katara the wrong way, even if it did provide jobs. Zuko never called them that, though. They were always his "personal staff." He knew their all names and treated them so kindly. Still, it was a luxury Katara didn't grow up with and didn't think she could ever get used to.

Katara made her way to the weatherdeck to meet her friends. She attempted to control her breathing as she stressed about how she was going to be able to act normal with Zuko. She was pretty sure that if she saw him in his royal regalia with windswept hair, she wouldn't be able to restrain herself from jumping him right there. To her mixed relief and disappointment, Zuko was not there yet. Her friends laid against Appa's furry legs casually.

"Good morning," Katara sang. She had a pep in her step that did not go unnoticed.

"What's so good about?" Sokka asked, looking at Katara through groggy, tired eyes. Katara rolled her eyes playfully at her brother.