Baby, We're Fireproof

"Hey, Aang, can I talk to you?"

Aang sat on the thick stone railing of the balcony with his legs over the edge, that jutted out on the cliffside. Momo purred as Aang pet him. Sokka and Suki had gone down to the beach about an hour ago, bringing a reluctant Toph in tow. Katara remained asleep on the chair Zuko had been reading on. Zuko's heart contracted when he left her on the chair. She had been soft and warm and held to him tightly.

"Sure, Sifu Hotman," Aang replied, gesturing for Zuko to sit next to him. Zuko nervously crossed his legs over the railing. He was not exactly a fan of unprotected heights, but that was not the real reason Zuko felt jittery. The conversation he was about to have with Aang had the potential to be severely unpleasant. While Katara had been concerned about Sokka's reception to her and Zuko's newfound relationship, Zuko was worried about Aang's.

"Are you okay with Katara and I dating?"

"Am I allowed to have an opinion?" Aang asked indifferently. Oh no.

"Katara values your opinion more than you know, and I—you were my first real friend, Aang. You're my best friend. Your happiness and comfort matter to me. I should've talked to you about this before, but I didn't know how to. I know that you had feelings for Katara once. I just want to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes, especially not yours."

"Would you break up with her if I told you I was uncomfortable?"

"I... No, I don't think I could, even for you."

"You love her, don't you?" Aang asked. Zuko didn't answer. He did love her, but he wasn't quite ready to admit that yet, especially not to Aang. Aang sighed, then placed a hand on Zuko's back. "I'm happy for you guys."

Zuko's head perked up. "Really?"

"Really. It's a little weird to see you two together, I'll admit, but I think this is the way it was meant to be. The Monks always told me, 'if you love someone set them free. If they don't come back, it wasn't meant to be.' I always found it a bit cliché, but it did help me realize that Katara would have never fully belonged to me when part of her longed for you."

"Katara doesn't belong to anyone," Zuko mused dreamily. He loved her independence. Despite being a water bender, she had a fierce, fiery spirit.

"You're the first guy I've seen who hasn't tried to cage her, including me. Keep setting her free, and I promise she'll come back to you every time. She always does," Aang said like he had been expecting this for a long time. Zuko's heart filled to the brim with something indescribable and warm.

"When did you figure out we were together?" Zuko knew Aang at least assumed his and Katara's feeling for each other after that conversation on the boat. He had no idea Aang actually knew anything was going on, though.

"Well, I wasn't entirely sure, but you were both so happy as soon as we got here. At first, I thought it was just due to Panuk's absence, but... Toph is right, you two are really obvious. You can't stop smiling at each other." Zuko blushed furiously, losing any semblance of lordly decorum he maybe never had. "Don't be embarrassed. It's sweet."

"So, no hard feelings?"

"None," Aang replied with a smile. "I mean, I will be requesting that you name your firstborn after me as a tribute to my good looks and grace, but we can talk about that later," Aang teased. Zuko shoved him playfully, and they both giggled. A weight lifted off of Zuko's shoulders. Zuko mentally checked Aang off the list of people he needed to consult with concerning his relationship with Katara. Zuko's advisors, Hakoda, Uncle Iroh. He should probably let Azula and Ozai know too, but then again, what did he owe them? Hm, anyone else? I feel like I'm missing someone. A yawn sounded from behind Aang and Zuko. Oh, right, Katara might be the most important person to talk to.