Chapter 12

As we leave the diner, the sun is getting ready to set.  It’s already dipping rather low behind the mountain peaks.  The sky boasts multiple hues of reds, yellows, and oranges.  It’s a stunning sight.   I wish I brought my camera but I know that I will get a chance to see this again.  This is a typical sunset where I live in Cottendale.  It’s a small town in southern California with approximately ten thousand residents.  We are less than an hour from the coast so you get a range of sights here. 

Our special place, which we refer to as The Falls, is ten miles north of town up in the mountains.  We stumbled upon it one weekend when we went camping with our youth group.  Brody and I wondered off looking for a place to hide from the group.  We were bored and wanted something to occupy our time.  We were walking through the woods and found a small trail that was overgrown.  We decided to follow it to see where it led. 

We were both in shock at this find.  We made our way through the overgrown weeds, trees and brush and came out on the other side to a small waterfall.  It’s not tall by no means; maybe ten feet but it was breathtaking.  The fall flows into a small stream that pours into the valley. 

That was the first of many days that we spent swimming and playing in that stream.  I remember the last time I was there was the last day we spoke.  It was a beautiful day of about eighty degrees.  We decided to have a picnic and enjoy one of the last days of summerlike weather before winter set in. 

We held each other like our lives depended on it.  We couldn’t do this in front of other people due to no one knowing but on that day we decided that we would not hide our relationship anymore.  That was the happiest I had been until I returned home.

I’m sitting in my seat and I can’t help but smile at the memory.  That day holds one of my favorite memories. 

“Why are you smiling?” The headlights from oncoming traffic shine into the truck highlighting the smile on my face. 

“I’m remembering the last time we were here. Thinking about how much fun we had.”

“I relive that memory all the time and then I relive the regret of my decisions I made once we got home.”  I can see the scowl on his face. 

I don’t want our mood to sour from those memories.  “Can we pretend like that didn’t happen as long as we are here?  I know we will have to talk about it soon but not tonight.”

“We can do whatever you want.  I want you to be happy.”  He reaches his hand over and grabs mine in his.

We arrive just as the sun is setting.  Before I get a chance to get out, Brody jumps out of the truck and runs to open my door.  Once he does, he tries to help me out.  I’m not the most stable person and most people call me a klutz so living up to the name I trip over the side step.  It looks like I may fall so I fling my hands around trying to grab at whatever I can.   Brody catches me just as I begin falling out. He pulls me to him and I wrap my arms around his neck. 

Once I am safely on the ground with both feet firmly in place, I hug him to me.  Then I grab his hand and pull him towards the stream and we take a seat.  We sit side by side and listen to the calming sound of the water flowing just a few feet away.  “This is beautiful.” 

‘You’re beautiful.” Brody leans in and places a small kiss on the corner of my mouth.  

“And you’re cheesy.”  I bump him in his side as I say this. 

“I might be cheesy but you like it.” 

We sit for what feels like an eternity.  I sit between his legs leaning into his chest.  I have my eyes closed relaxing finally feeling at peace.  I can feel his heart beating the same rhythm as mine.  It’s like we are in sync.  Just as I feel like I could fall asleep, I fill a drop on my face.