39: Day of the First Born

Wednesday when the townspeople started decorating their shops, houses, and stalls with mini flags in the shade of midnight blue and linings of gold. Sa bandila na iyon ay nakalagay ang pangalan ni Cayden. Crown Prince Cayden. The first line says. All Hail The First Born. The second line says. Others painted his face on their shops' glass walls. Others decorated their houses with too many flags and bunches of cloth that draped either on their roofs or doors. Children started singing a song that was written from a very long time ago— dedicated to the crown princes, who are soon to be the kings of the Kingdom of Lapetus. Streets are full of fairy lights and flags and other decorations like flowers, and sun badges. The palace grounds are getting a make-over too.

And in a blink of an eye, the streets are wilding with mortals in their fanciest gowns and suits. In all sizes. In all colors. The streets and the palace grounds are very much alive. Stalls for food and stalls for games are everywhere. Pagpatak ng alas-syete ng gabi, halos wala akong makitang lupa sa dami ng tao na naka-abang sa labas ng palasyo para masilayan ang unang prinsipe. Cayden, in his dashing midnight blue suit embroidered with a darker shade of blue swirls and sun rays, a cape of the same color clamped down across his broad shoulders, a symbol of the Lapetus pinned on his lapel, a sword on his left, and a shiny golden crown with sapphire gems around it, rested above his head— he walked outside the palace's balcony with so much grace and power to greet his people.

And every mortal--- men and women, children and teenagers; all cheered for the rightful crown prince of their kingdom.

It was quite a show. Halos hindi ako makahinga sa sobrang ingay ng mga tao ng makita nila ang paglabas ng unang prinsipe.

All Hail The First Born. All Hail The Crown Prince.

Paulit ulit nilang sinigaw ang mga katagang 'yan hanggang sa sumenyas lamang si Cayden na tumahimik. Behind him stood his family. The king, the second prince and to my surprise, even the queen. Sa isang kabilang banda naman, mirroring his family's position are the most trusted courtiers of the king.

Sage was there. Present in his finest royal suit. I almost choke on my own saliva when I saw him walk out of that balcony together with the other dukes and lords. Bago ako namili ng sariling damit, he made sure we'll wear the same colors. I am wearing gold. He's wearing a black suit embroidered with real gold. The clothes precisely hugged his build tightly, only making him look more charismatic and vicious than ever.

We witches, the thirteen of us, Nym leading the line, are now on standby on the adjacent smaller balcony beside the main one.

A speech was voiced out by the crown prince himself. More cheering happened after. Fireworks were released then— more and more and more cheering from the mortals. I thought my ears would start bleeding from the very, very loud crowd.

Then, the ball at the ballroom occurred. Less people are here, but there are still plenty of them present. Time is ticking. A dashed of gowns and suits passed by my sight. An orchestra playing some melodic music. Courtiers everywhere. Ladies in court with their fans and big big gowns, all giggling and flaunting what they think is even worth the talk. Men in groups. Displaying their riches without directly saying it. All of these people are showing off. Fake friendships, gossip, and a battle of riches. Lahat sila nagpapayabangan lang.

Standing in the shadows, here I stay to observe and wait for Sage to finish his duty for the crown prince. Sumisimsim lamang ako sa champagne ko ng maamoy ko sila. I didn't mind it at first. Kasi alam kong maraming mga sentinels ang naka palibot ngayon sa palasyo. But then again, attackers are unpredictable. When I scented them again, the aroma so familiar to me that I can't help but wince.

Witch hunters.

Maybe they're courtiers. They're not prohibited to step inside the palace. They're allowed to attend, especially if they're noblemen and noblewomen. Inignora ko na lang uli ang kanilang mga presenya.