(24) Plan

The song above is Hung Up  by Madonna

You can read ahead on Patreon. Use this link to find out more: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

Word count: 1879

Detective Ridley faced me with a hard expression

Detective Ridley faced me with a hard expression. His jaw was clenched tight and his dark eyes were narrowed dangerously. He had been on my case for a substantial amount of time now. He was beyond p*ssed he hadn't caught the scarred man yet.

Beside me, Georgia shifted in her seat.

"When you say he, you mean...?"

I nodded my head in despair. There wasn't anyone else I could be talking about.

Detective Ridley sighed through his nose and pinched the bridge of his nose. He definitely looked tired. He was always overworking.

"Okay, explain what happened," He ordered, locking eyes with me.

I told him the full story, making sure he knew I was one hundred percent certain it was the scarred man.

"Why didn't you come to me with this yesterday, Celeste?" He asked me once I finished, perplexed and annoyed. He thought I was trying to endanger my life.

I'm sure I reflected a goldfish. My mouth kept opening and closing, pathetically. I didn't like being reprimanded by him.

"I—," I stammered. "I didn't want you to put me in witness protection."

He arched an unimpressed eyebrow. Detective Ridley wouldn't understand my reasons. He would think I was putting myself in unnecessary danger.

"Celeste, we talked about this last time," He sighed, disappointed. "This man is extremely dangerous."

I released a long breath and pinched my lips together. "I know. I just...I don't want to leave this place. It's my home."

Georgia shot me a bewildered look. She felt the complete opposite. Stowe was hell to her. She hated this town with a passion. Georgia's dream was to get out of this small town and live in a big city. Probably New York. She always felt she was meant for more, for someplace bigger. This town was only holding her back.