(31) Together

The song above is When Love Takes Over by David Guetta featuring Kelly Rowland

You can read ahead on Patreon now. Use this link to find out more: patreon.com/littletroublemaker_

Word count: 2050

I didn't go to school the next day

I didn't go to school the next day. I was too tired and too scared. Mom left early in the morning so she had no idea I didn't go. I called reception at eight-thirty and told her I had come down with a fever.

Officer Martinez knocked on my door at nine o'clock, wondering why I hadn't left for school. He told me the officer from last night handed over everything that happened—including what I said to him—and that there was no evidence the scared man was here.

"You know, you're letting him win by hiding," Officer Martinez said a few hours later when we were sat at my dining table, munching on a toastie. "From what I've heard, he's been controlling your life for so long."

I swallowed audibly and peered up at him. I hated how right he was. I was being a coward right now. Maybe I was just one massive coward. For so long I had let him dictate my life. Every choice I made, he was there in the background, lurking.

But then I remembered how I managed to stay alive and home. I fought him. I didn't run when I saw him the other day.

With Lazarus here, I felt like I could win. I could fight him.

"You're right, oh-wise-one," I replied in a joking manner.

He smirked, "I know I am."

After eating, I decided to sit outside and read a book. In the book, the male protagonist reminded me of a lot of Lazarus. They were both strong people who hid their insecurities. So far, the main character was beginning to open up her love interest, who was still debating whether to return the favor.

The corners of my lips quirked upwards at the thought of Lazarus. I messaged him earlier, telling him I was feeling unwell. I received a reply seconds later, filled with multiple questions. He wanted to know if there was anything he could do.

I told him I would tell him later—after school.

"Officer Martinez," I called, catching his attention.