Chapter 4: Dinner

You drove your own car to the restaurant, not wanting a repeat of the other day’s storm. 

Arthur’s car was already parked. Given his business-like demeanour, it didn’t surprise you that he was early. You hopped out of the car and walked into the diner. It was nice to come here for something that wasn’t work. 
You didn’t even have a foot in the door before you heard someone call your name.

“(Y/n)! Over here!” Alfred was standing in his seat, waving aggressively. The other people in the establishment looked over, some annoyed and others amused. 
You chuckled nervously and walked over to their booth. Arthur looked embarrassed as he demanded that Alfred sit back in his seat. He, Alfred and Michelle were seated on one side, while Matthew sat on the other. The purple-eyed boy looked up at you with a smile.

“Come sit with me.” You obliged, sliding onto the bench. Alfred soon grew jealous.

“I wanted to sit by her.” He folded his arms and pouted. A long sigh parted from Arthur.

“You can sit on the other side,” you suggested, sliding over. The boy excitedly crossed over and plopped down beside you. He hugged you tightly.

“Hi (Y/n).” You ruffled his hair and waved at Michelle, who beamed up at you. As usual, you asked each child about their day. Alfred had passed a spelling test, Matthew made a nice picture (which he gave you), and Michelle found a glittery rock that appeared to have pieces of quartz inside. When you asked Arthur what he did today, he simply responded with “work”. 

“What are we gonna eat?” asked Michelle, tapping her father’s shoulder. 

“Well, let’s see,” he said, grabbing a menu from the center of the table. A waitress stopped by after noticing the kids.

“Do you need kid’s menus?” Alfred puffed his chest out.

“I don’t need a kid’s menu, I’m a man!” You set your hand on his shoulder.

“This man will still eat a kid-sized meal.” The woman nodded before handing each kid a menu. Arthur passed you a menu, and you looked over it even though you probably didn't need to. 

You turned to Matthew. 

"What are you gonna get?" He pointed at the burger. Alfred and Michelle's answers were the same. 

“Well then I guess I’m having a burger. (Y/n)?” He looked up at you expectantly. You exaggeratedly pretended to put a lot of thought into your order, scratching your chin and going ‘hmm’ very loudly. 

“I think I’ll get a… (veggie) burger.” A mock expression of awe crossed Arthur’s face.

“What a unique choice. Let’s go wash our hands before we place our order.” 

Arthur and his sons headed off to the men’s room while Michelle followed behind you. When the two of you got to the sink, she looked up at you with arms outstretched, asking to be picked up. You helped her up to the sink, holding her by the waist as she washed her hands. You noticed something odd when you set her back down. 

“Michelle,” you asked as you lathered soap in your hands, “where are your shoes?” She looked down as if she hadn’t realized until now.