·Chapter Twenty-Three Part 1·

🌍 Nigeria 🇳🇬
🌍 South Africa 🇿🇦
🌏 The Philippines 🇵🇭

🌍 Nigeria 🇳🇬🌍 South Africa 🇿🇦🌏 The Philippines 🇵🇭

*Luna*

"HEY, SARAH!" I yelled out from the driver's seat as she and I were travelling to Liberty and Ahmed's house in Texas. "Did you see that license plate? It's from Maine. That means someone from the state of Maine drove their car all the down here. That's a long way."

Sarah smiled and giggled with her hands in her lap. We we're playing the license plate game and browsed for different plates from other locations. So far, we've seen about eight different ones. I've even seen one from Hawaii, and one from Brazil.

Chase stayed behind in New Orleans to catch up on some work while Sarah and I drove to Houston early. He said that if he has time he'll meet us there later this weekend, so he urged us to go on without him. It worked out for the best, anyway. I wanted some alone time with my daughter, and my thoughts.

Sarah doesn't do too well on road trips, and sometimes she gets scared when we ride for a long time. It was now nine in the morning as we finally crossed over the state line into Texas. The sun was bright and shiny with a clear-blue sky. It was the perfect weather to cruise with the windows down and wind flow through.

Every few minutes I'd glance at her in the rearview mirror and blow her a kiss. It made her happy and feel at ease, which made me feel better as well. I tried my best to distract her, so she wouldn't get too restless. This trip was planned last minute, but I needed to see my sister. I shouldn't be thinking about Amir or desiring to see him, because we are continuing our new distance plan that we agreed to. But no matter what I did, he was there, roaming around inside my mind, causing me to ponder what he did for the weekend since he cancelled his trip to the States.

When we departed the other day, I closed myself off. We both did, actually. I couldn't even concentrate and visit with Chase and our friends at the barbecue because my mind was still in a mess after breaking things off with Amir. I couldn't let his love for me go on like that anymore. I realized for the days that we didn't see one another that it wasn't fair to keep him in this position between him and Chase. And I also realized that my heart would always be connected to Chase no matter what happened, so preventing things from going further with Amir seemed like the logical choice. Amir might not be near me right now, but I could sense his heart was aching wherever he was. It was almost suffocating me while driving.

I would describe it like an insatiable fire burning all the oxygen inside his body leaving him restless and empty. And other times were more like a thin layer of ice, cooling his insides, a gentle reminder of the pain that came before and a warning to not stoke that fire again. He poured his whole heart and soul out for me, only for me to end up crushing it. That destroyed me. He is devastated now, and I hate that I could not save him from all that pain.

Thinking about what I'd done caused the nausea inside my empty stomach to swirl, unrestrained. My head swam with half-formed regrets, and my heart felt as if my blood had become tar as it struggled to keep a steady beat. A melancholy mood hung over me like a black cloud, raining my personal sorrow down on me wherever I went. Even the colors of the beautiful day were dreary to me, causing the birds who chirped around me sound like a noise on a child's glockenspiel, grating my nerves.