Prologue

The girl walked along the cold wet path, she was homeless now; her parents had just died in a horrible car accident leaving her alone. The only thing she had with her was her backpack full of her books and some of her mother's books as well. She walked remembering the police report, only stopping as she rubbed her eyes in an attempt to keep sleep away and to wipe the tears away. She finally managed to stumble into a covered alleyway and sat at the entrance, feeling so empty that not even the freezing kiss of the rain bothered her anymore. She sat with her knees up and her arms resting on them crossed over each other as she rested what she could of her chin on her knees, arms covering her mouth. She stayed like this for a while longer then stood, preparing to leave the ally when someone shoved her face first towards the ground; in pure terror, she closed her eyes and upon feeling nothing but the whipping air around her, she could only hope and pray that she was not falling to her death. She didn't dare open her eyes as she fell, but began blacking out as she managed to turn her back towards the clouds in her free falling state. She fell unconsciously towards the ground, passed out until she finally landed on her side still long past being awake or anywhere near it. 

***********

Five powerful beings were discussing something when something caught their attention; as they watched they saw smaller parts come flying off of it and decided to investigate. They took to the sky with light marking their trails of flight and when they land near where the thing had landed in a crater they saw a young woman whose hair laying on her side. As she lay there one of them, a dark robed angelic being with purple wings, stepped forward to gain a closer look at her. As he studied her, he recognized her immediately but kept his silence, this woman who lay still before them was a woman he had met when she had been just a child. He wondered what she was doing here then noted the wound on her arm that went from her elbow to her shoulder blade. He and the others watched as she stirred from her slumber and as she slowly, and very painfully, managed to sit up. She was trying to not use her left arm as she pushed herself up. The dark angel wanted to go to her but held back, he watched as she shook her head and instantly felt the need to go to her side grow stronger; but he stood watching in pain as she looked around not noticing any of them. With curiosity, they watched as she looked skyward then heard her sigh, "Where am I?" She tried to stand and found there was something more than her arm injured. Her leg was in great pain and she about fell until an arm caught her. The woman's neck all but snapped as her head rose up, but when she saw who it was she found herself calming down. "Malthael?"

He nodded as he held her up, "How did you come here?" He asked as he looked at her wounds and then turned back to her as she shook her head. 

"I don't.....I don't know...I can't remember ever crossing a portal to here." She said as another angelic being landed near them giving Malthael some bandages and helping to clean her wounds. "I'm sorry if this will cause you trouble Malthael. I hadn't planned on coming here, I swear that much." She tried to stand but found herself in his arms being cradled bridal style. 

"Don't try to walk; you will only hurt yourself more." Knowing she would obey him without question he felt her settle down into his arms. "For now sleep. My brethren may not like it but I will take care of you now, child." He felt her curl closer to him for warmth and held her close. 

"They're gone....." was all she said which had him looking at her with worry. He understood that she no longer had a family to go back to. 

"I'm sorry," He told her sleeping form as he flew up to the others. He looked at each one, as if daring them to challenge him, then continued on his way back to the High Heavens where he took her to the second bedroom in his area. He laid her down on the bed and watched her sleeping form for a few more minutes. He saw the undying loyalty lying within her heart and knew that it would come in handy in this war. Sleep Ithrika, my dearest daughter.