This Isn't a Goodbye

Before she knew it, he was climbing into her truck with a smug expression. Quirking a brow, she prompted, "Yes?"

"We won." He announced with an arm pumping motion. He smirked at her; confidence flowing from him in waves.

"I know. I was there." She laughed with a small smile at his antics. Her mind wandered back to her and Brett's conversation. Had anyone seen them? At the end of the night, who gave a shit? She did her job; the boys couldn't deliver. 

Grabbing his calloused hand, she drove them out of the trashed parking lot and toward the quiet loft in Jack London. Christian could see that she was in pain.

"Now, who over did it?" He scolded with concern written all over his handsome face. 

"Me." She readily answered with a guilty expression. Parking with ease, she turned the truck off and hopped out. The outfielder easily joined her. 

"I guess it's my turn to help you out, huh?"

"Hmm." she hummed in response. 

Little did she know both Matts had followed her home. The duo entered the building while the A's players talked in Chapman's SUV. 

"He was there this morning." Matt Olson realized as he sat in the passenger seat. 

"What?" Chapman asked with a raised brow. 

Her brother shook his head, "I called her this morning. She looked out of it, and I thought I had actually woken her up. But I bet that he was there. Normally, she's down to talk, but she literally hung up on me."

"Do you want to confront her tonight?" The third baseman was mad, but he didn't have the right to be royally pissed—that was her brother's job. Mattie shook his head and muttered, "Once he leaves the Bay." Both Matts headed back to their shared rented space—they needed to talk strategy. 

As the tired couple entered the apartment, both headed for the shower. 

"I've got you." He murmured as he turned on the hot water like she had this morning. Christian helped her out of her clothes and into the shower. While he had wanted to join her, she needed some alone time. It was easy for him to spot the signs. 

While she showered, he fetched the bottle of wine from the night before and poured her a glass. He'd found beer in the fridge, which he helped himself to. He took off his slides and made himself comfy on the couch. She'd grace him with her presence when she was ready. They had to talk about tomorrow and beyond. In his mind, there was no way he was letting her go.

About fifteen minutes later, she joined him in the living room, dressed in one of his shirts and boy shorts. Grabbing the glass of wine, she took her place beside him on the couch. 

"Thank you." 

"Of course. You put on quite the show."

Sighing, her tired eyes met his, giving him a slow kiss, she shared with caution, "I only over did it, because Anderson saw us." 

Christian frowned, "What do you mean?"

"He saw us leave the other night, and then he caught sight of my cheers to your BP. He's a smart one."

"Not that good of a pitcher."

She shrugged in response. 

"Well, if you felt like you had to..." 

"He told me he didn't care what I did outside of the games, but I needed to give it my all while there; otherwise the boys wouldn't be happy."

The silver slugger glared at the ground but quickly recovered and whispered, "If I can be completely honest, you pitching was one of the hottest things I have ever seen."