the devil went down to Georgia

Note: The family dynamic, in this story, is completely fictional. From what I've read, The Olson family is nothing but supportive of their two sons. :)

November 2019 

"You sure you packed enough?" Christian huffed as he helped zip up his fiance's bag. 

"Look, Georgia is humid as hell and cold as the poles ... depending on the day. I haven't been in awhile." A guilty look took over her tan features. Her eye had healed marvelously, only a small scar remained, and Christian kissed it daily--to remind himself to communicate and she always scrunched her face when he did. To him, she looked cute. 

"Wait. When was the last time?"

"Hmm, let's see...when I left for Long Beach?" 

"Eight years?!" He asked, stunned. 

"It was a bitter departure." She offered in a slightly cold manner. Since she'd told him about the baseball only household, he vowed to himself that their life wouldn't be only baseball. Granted, her declaring for the Olympics and having to start competing in January helped immensely, but he'd never make it about one thing. 

Pulling her into a hug, he murmured, "I'll be there the whole time, and if shit goes sideways, we dip." Nodding into his chest, she pulled back and double checked everything. 

"You packed your  brace in case you get sore?" He couldn't believe that he was nearly done healing. She'd been a miracle worker with his knee. The amount of time she'd devoted to get him ready for Spring Training had been intense. They had had their fair share of heated disagreements, but they never went to bed angry. They always managed to make up and solve their problems. 

"I did...per your request." He was still working on listening to her. Then again, she was still working on something similar.

"Did I detect some bitterness?" Her eyes smiled at him.

"Hmm, no?" He breathed as he moved to steal a kiss. She met him in the middle.  He grinned at their colliding. Before she could stop him, he scooped her up and set her on the counter--never taking his lips from hers. His hands went to remove her UA sweats, but her hands caught his and reminded, "We have a flight to catch. We can fuck in Georgia."

"I'm not having sex under your parents roof." He stated flatly. The entire idea sickened him; maybe when he was in high school...

"I booked us a room at the local hotel. I'm not sleeping in my old room." She informed as she got her trainers on. 

"Your family. Your field. You're calling the shots." 

The couple left the apartment, hopped into his 2018 Genesis G80, and headed for airport. While Roosevelt enjoyed driving his cars, she missed her truck. Mattie and Matt had gleefully accepted the responsibility of taking care of her loft and occasionally driving her truck. She'd gotten plenty of snaps of her baby going mudding, which always ended with her calling to threaten their lives if they didn't get it detailed after.
As they checked their car with a service, Christian climbed out first, placed his backpack on, and moved to grab the bags from the trunk. As soon as they started walking, reporters somehow knew to show up. The media pressure on the couple had ramped up in the Fall. 

"CHRISTIAN, HOW'S THE KNEE?" one of them shouted above the rest. 

"100% ready for Spring Training." He commented politely. 

"CHRISTIAN, ANY COMMENT ON THE SOCAL FIRES? ISN'T YOUR FAMILY FROM THE AREA BEING AFFECTED?" 

"Yeah, I've been in contact with my family. They're safe and sound. The fires are devasting and a real shame. That's why Ro and I have donated 10,000 meals for those affected as well as first responders."