Shame and Nerves

Kane's POV

      I try to call back the man from the gym that I damn near ran over, his face of pure terror, and the familiar look of anxiety making me want to help, but he shoved it away like it was nothing to him. I guess he's not as infatuated with me as I thought.

     The cars behind me are getting more and more persistent and annoyed, and so even though I don't want to, and I want to run down that stubborn man and throw him in my car when he's clearly in shock, I get into my car and drive off. When I get to the portion of sidewalk that's he's on, I slow down that car across the street in hopes that he'll change his mind. but he doesn't even spare me a glance as he continues limping and shaking on his way.

     Knowing that staying here is a lost cause, I sigh and speed up my car, heading in the direction of the gym.

      I had woke up a little late this morning, closer to five than to four and I had to skip my run. In order to keep to my daily routine, I had ate breakfast, three on some clothes and began to make my way to the gym.

      And of course, this time it was my sister that called me this morning and not my mother, the two of them always taking turns when it comes to me and dragging me back to the lifestyle I fought so hard to escape from. When I want to grab my phone and decline the call, that had to of course be the moment that someone is walking across the street and the light is read.

      Not just any guy, the one who works at the new gym I frequent.

      Today just really isn't my day.

       Now, I'm making my way to the gym, guilt shredding me from the inside. Not necessarily because of who it was,or what I did, though neither were exactly prime examples of how to be a good human being.

      No, the thing that's making guilt and shake claw up my throat is the looks of pure fear and anxiety that shone in the man's face, his eyes somewhere far away that in the middle of the street where we were. I know that look, the look where things you're trying so hard to escape keep coming back to get you. Mine is my family. I don't know what his is, but I don't think today is going to put me in any good standings in his book any time soon.

     I finally pull up to the gym and the clock says it's five fifty seven. And if he was walking how he was, we would be here by now.

       Which means he's going to be late.

        All because of me.

        I groan to myself as I grab my bag out of the car, double checking to make sure my gloves are inside. I close the door behind me and lock it before I'm making my way through the door and up to the counter that I had used yesterday when I first got here.

        I tap the bell on the counter and I only have to wait for a minute or so until the man I saw talking to the worker yesterday shows up with a frown on his face. "What can I do for you, son?"

       "That worker form yesterday?" I start and he cuts me off with a smirk.

        "His name is Dillan. And he plays for your team. If you want to go for it, I say do it, but watch out he has a nasty attitude. He's running a bit late today though, but you can wait around for him." He says and I stare at him for a second. This buff only man playing Tinder. What in the world. I shake my head to clear it with a frown.

        "That's the thing. Uhh I know why he's late. I almost hit him this morning... with my car. And he refused my help, though he looked like crap when he started walking again. I just wanted to tell you he was going to be late." I tell the man, my voice getting less and less steady as I continue on with my story of why Dillan is late.

        "You almost hit him?" The man asks and he no longer looks laid back and friendly like he did a moment ago, but rather scary and very very strong.

          "I stopped before I did, but I think I shook him up." I told him and he glares at me for a moment. As I stand there growing increasingly wary, the man finally makes a decision, gesturing me to follow him as he walks away. With hit his face looked a minute ago, I'm not so sure if I should follow him, knowing my death could be right around the corner.

        But to avoid a more sure death but not following instructions, I follow the big man from the desk and into what looks like a break room with lockers along the side.

        I stand in the middle of the room awkwardly as he goes to a random filing cabinet and pulls out some supplies.

       I don't stay curious of his plan for long because the next thing I know, I have a shirt, a rag and some spray in hand. I look up in confusion at the boss man in front of me while he gives me a scary smile.

       "You're going to work Dillan's job until he's here, safe and in working condition. Spray everything down and wipe it all. And if Dillan says it's alright, I'll consider letting you continue to use our gym. Maybe." He tells me and I give him a hesitant nod before he's leading me out of the room and back into the main part of the gym.

      I groan to myself as he grabs my bag and puts it in the break room, away from my hold. As I get started in cleaning the machinery and checking the door continuously, I can't help but hope that even if he has no obligation towards me, especially after this morning, that he doesn't make me leave the closest place that feels like home.

~~~~~~~~
Vincent reminds me up a sterner black male version of Ms. Wendy and I love it. What do you think about Vincent's punishment? Would you let Kane stay or would you tell your boss to make me go?

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: Do you drink Tropical Smoothie Cafe?