Questions and Hesitance

Kane's POV

Dillan and I move from the foyer and towards the living room but I can't help but sneak looks at him.

I've never met anyone but my dad that could reign my sister in and put her in her place. And even then it was only for the moment before she turned around and did something either just as bad or worse. I know that the questions are coming from Dillan, and I know he'll expect answers, but I don't want him to look at me the same way he did when we first met.

He's become a comfortable habit in my life that I kind of don't want to let go of.

Not that he knows that yet. And something tells me I would only scare him off. It's crazy to think the same man that I thought I was too good for has changed me in such a short time. Still an asshole, but a softer one.

"Keep staring at me and I'll stab your eyes out with a spoon." Dillan tells me without looking over at me, going to look at the random shit around my living room. I chuckle against his words and shake my head.

"I'm starting to think you mean these threats of your seriously." I tell him and he turns around with a gleam in his eyes that I find oddly attractive.

"Only now?" He asks and it makes me want to drag him back into my room and fuck him into the bed, even if he has to get ready for work soon. I go to sit on the couch, and unsurprisingly, Dillan stays standing as he fidgets and walks around the room.

I've noticed that when he's sober, his body can't sit still, he has these cute ass stims he does where he taps his fingers against each other or he rubs his thumb on his knee when he's sitting down.

I'm not quite sure if it's ADHD or something else, something darker, that causes them but I refuse to ask, knowing it'll stop him from being as comfortable around me.

I hold my breath as I wait for the questions to begin, and just when I think that it wasn't a big deal to him and that he's going to let it go, he turns to me with a slight frown on his brow and curiosity in his gaze, one of my least favorite looks. "So that was you sister."

He doesn't phase it as a question but i rather as an open ended statement, wanting me to fill in the blanks that he's missing.

But this is something that I don't talk about.

Ever.

"Yeah that's her." I answer with a nod of my head and he tilts his head at me as his fingers drum absentmindedly on his thigh in slight agitation.

"Why don't you like her?" He asks me and I suck in a breath as I lean back on to the back of the couch and cross my arms in front of me. His eyes lower to my body but I ignore the look, knowing that he won't let this go, but also knowing that I have to kill this conversation now.

"We are passing boundaries, Dillan. Sharing secrets would make us friends instead of bed buddies." I tell him and he narrows his eyes at me, but not arguing, knowing i'm right.

If I know anything about him, is that strings are the last thing he wants. They're messy and unnecessary to him. And secrets add a few more strings between us whenever one of us chooses to walk away.

"Fine. We can be friends." He says and I try not to let the surprise show on my face. I hadn't thought that he would go for it, letting one of his many walls fall or make room for a deeper connection than the one between our bodies. But I go for it, adding to it just in case he's being honest.

"Okay. A secret for a secret." I tell him and that's when he tenses up, but I don't stop there. "If you want to know what you do, I get to chose what I want to get from you." I say and his brows lower in clear frustration. But I can tell that his curiosity is going to win out, even if he tries to hide it from me. After a few moments he throws himself down on the couch across from me and crosses his arms while glaring at me.

"Fine. A secret for a secret." He says and I gesture my hand towards him for him to start since this was his idea. He thinks for a moment but decides on a question, the same as before. "Why do you hate your sister?"

I breath a long sigh before I look at him through tired eyes. "I don't hate her. Or my mother for that matter. But I don't want to be around them anymore. They don't think I can be anything without them and their master plan." I tell him keeping it short and simple but I can tell that the answer has only fueled his hungry for information. But I'm sure it's going to die out once I ask my own question.

"Why are you scared of cars?" I ask him, softly, hoping I don't send him into a panic attack like I did a week ago. He eyes grow wide before they fly into mine.

"I'm not. I just don't think you drive that well." He says but I can tell he's lying.

"I feel like shit when you're walking and I'm driving beside you. It would save you a lot of time if you let me drive you places." I tell him, trying to reason with him and he catches me gaze with dead eyes that make me a bit worried.

"Don't worry about me. I'll be just fine." He says and I sigh before nodding my head, knowing to drop it for now. "I'm about to get ready." He tells me and I nod as he gets up.

Dillan is trying to push me out of his life, doing his best to keep his distance from me, but what he doesn't know is that it's too late, and I am going to do my best to stick around."

~~~~~~~~~~
Dillan is baby but Kane is a sweet daddy. I love them so much. This book is like almost halfway down which is crazy. I really have to start on the real plot soon and I will, promise.

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: Do you where socks to sleep?