Chapter Seven

Sunrises passed since Ratstar's death, and the Gathering was quickly approaching. Flowerpaw was grooming herself when Sootpaw awoke. Her brown and white pelt shone silver in the early morning light.

     "Good morning sleepy head."

     Flowerpaw stood and stretched each of her legs before padding out of the den. Sootpaw stood, shook his fur  and followed just behind the she-cat. Flowerpaw was younger than the black apprentice, and was Ratstar's daughter. Her brothers died as kits, and she was the only kit to survive. Sometimes pity plagued over Sootpaw for the young she-cat, but he knew how Flowerpaw reacted to pity.

     The she-cat had a temper, he knew. Sootpaw focused on his paw steps, which were much more steadier than they had been when he first arrived. Know he knew every nook and cranny in the territory. When he wasn't training with Ivyfang, Sootpaw spent most of his time outside of the mountain, in the tree-filled forest. Pollenpaw often joined him, and together they hunted and play-fighted.

     Flowerpaw was near the freshkill pile now. She motioned over to Sootpaw,and he laid next to the she-cat to share the large thrush. When the two of them finished the bird, Sootpaw took the scraps of bone and feathers outside. He licked his forepaw and drove it over his ears to wash them. He padded over to the small river just outside the entrance and cleaned out beneath his claws. Then he walked into the camp to see if anycat wanted help.

     Echowing and Ebonyfoot were basking on the dawn light, and Sootpaw padded over to the two elders.

     "Hello Echowing, Ebonyfoot. How are you doing?"

     The two she-cats lifted their heads at the exact same moment and spoke at the same time.

     "We've got ticks on our shoulders and we can't reach them. Would you mind getting them?"

     "Of course."

     Sootpaw still found it odd how alike they were. They were exactly the same, in all aspects. He parted Ebonyfoot's shoulder fur and found the large black tick. He grasped it between his teeth and heard a distinct crunch. He copied his action on Echowing, and took a drink of water to clear the taste from his mouth.

     His mentor was lying beside Dovetail and Eggsplash. The three she-cats were murmuring amongst themselves. Sootpaw contemplated going over to his mentor to ask if he was needed, but he decided against it. He looked around camp and took in his surroundings.

     Nightpaw and Riverpaw were resting beside the tunnel that lead to the waterfall, and Sootpaw bounded over to them.

     "Hey Riverpaw! Nightpaw! Do you want to go hunting with me?"

     The two apprentices jumped from their spots. With smiles on all three of their faces, trotted out of the camp.