Chapter Seventeen

"Ratstar? May I speak to you?" Sootpaw meowed through the tunnel leading to the leaders den.

     "Come in," croaked Ratstar's mew. Sootpaw padded through the small tunnel, and took a seat in the light filtering through a hole in the roof. Ratstar sat up from where he lay and pondered about what the young cat wanted.

     "I wanted to tell you something. Something StarClan wishes you to know."

     Ratstar looked slightly taken aback, but let the tom continue.

     "StarClan have come to me many times in my sleep. They have given me a prophecy. All leaders know about it, but one part was left out: I am the true receiver of the prophecy. It is mine to fulfill."

     Ratstar was astonished to hear the claims of the young apprentice, but he knew that the tom spoke the truth. He had often wondered what he had been doing in StarClan when the prophecy was foretold. And now he had his answer.

     Sootpaw sat patiently, waiting for his leader to tell him to run back to MoonClan, that he never wanted him in the camp again, but it never came. Fur pricked in annoyance and impatience, Sootpaw awaited instructions from his leader. Ratstar placed his tail tip on the apprentice's shoulder and sighed.

     "Young warrior, you have your ancestors looking down on you. They will guide your paws through your destiny. You need not worry. Do not tell anycat else about this conversation."

     Sighing with relief, Sootpaw backed out of the tunnel. Flowerpaw was waiting for him with Cindersplash and Ivyfang.

     "Hey Sootpaw. We're doing the warrior assessment today." Although her voice was cheerful, her face lacked the excitement. Marshpaw paced just behind, but his mentor couldn't make it. Bumblescar would take Emberface's place while he was busedge he six cats marched out of the camp and ventured towards the mountains. Trekking up the path, the group made it to the assessing valley. The grassy valley is surrounded by lush green trees and in the middle of the valley is a large shallow lake. Fish were plentiful there.

     "Okay. To pass you need to catch one fish and one woodland animal of your choice." Bumblescar commanded. The three apprentices nodded eagerly, all other thoughts forgotten as they focused on the land around them. Their mentors would watch them secretly and score them depending on what they did.

     "And. Go!" Bumblescar yelled.

     The three apprentices raced away, Marshpaw and Flowerpaw whisked towards the forest so Sootpaw trotted over to the shallow lake. He settled at the edge of the water and searched for some fish swimming along. A hoard swam up to the edge, looking for seeds blown in from the valley. Taking the opportunity, Sootpaw grabbed one with his claws. It flopped and slapped its tail across Sootpaw's face. The black tom wailed in alarm and fell backwards. The fish flopped against him, and he nipped its spine to silence all movements. Looking behind him, he could just make out the gleam of Ivyfang's eyes. Feeling his face heat up, Sootpaw took his catch and buried it right beneath a root of the largest oak trees.

     Now he needed to find an animal in the trees. Sniffing the air, a whiff of smell hit his nose. Marshpaw was hunting a squirrel. Flowerpaw was over by the lake. Another event hit his nose and he identified it as mouse.

     He found the small creature scavaging for nuts beneath an pak tree and stroke it down with a single swipe. He unburied his fish and dragged the two over to the starting place. Flowerpaw was already there. Marshpaw emerged from the forest a moment later.