Chapter Nine

Pollenheart greeted the apprentice with a forced smile. He was one of the only cats who hadn't welcomed Sootpaw with smiles and purrs. Pollenheart wasn't very open-minded about newcomers as his sister Duskfeather. She was one of the cats who helped him make his way around camp with bumping into anycat.

"I'll be joining your patrol. Bumblescar said I should tell you."

Pollenheart looked like he was about to say something that would provoke an argument, but thought better of it when Duskfeather padded out behind him. She greeted Sootpaw with a purr and an angled glance at Pollenheart. Nightpaw wouldn't be coming with her mentor because she was being punished for passing the border. She had to check the elders for ticks until the gathering, which was in two sunrises.

"Are we ready to head out?"

Pollenheart nodded briskly and headed out of the camp and lead the way. Pollenheart disappeared behind a cliff wall, and Sootpaw followed him. Duskfeather was just behind him. The path along the border winded through the mountain, and curved ever which way. Sootpaw tried to keep pace with the tabby warrior, but it was hard and Duskfeather often had to boost him up the ledges. The finally met the edge of their territory and began mark in the border. Sootpaw engaged in the activity, though he stopped suddenly as the fur pricked along his spine.

"Patrol!" He hissed.

His clanmates stopped what they were doing to gaze upon the tribe cats that were approaching. Among them were two cats, a pale gray she-cat and a small white tom. Duskfeather stepped forward and addressed the two tribe cats.

"Greetings Pebble Shore. Rock-teller."

The she-cat bowed her head in respect, though the tom merely grunted. Their thick fur gleamed in the late sunlight. The white tom straightened his posture and responded to Duskfeather.

"Rock Teller and I wish to speak with your leader Ratstar."

Pollenheart opened his mouth to say something, but stopped short with a look from his litter mate.

"We'll take you to our camp. Come,"

Duskfeather took the lead and Sootpaw walked behind Pebble Shore. Pollenheart was finishing the birder patrol by himself. Duskfeather trotted down the winding path and jumped of a shallow ledge. She landed in the soft earth. Sootpaw's pads stung, because he was not yet accommodated to walking on rough rock. He would see Buzzardwhisker later to fix it. When the camp came into view, Duskfeather bounded swiftly down the slope and through the large hole that was the entrance. Casting a final glance at the mountain tops, the tribe cats plunged down the black opening. Sootpaw hesitated before following the three, but followed them nonetheless.

Rock Teller was pacing outside Ratstar's den, while Pebble Shore watched her from in front of the medicine cat's den. When Ratstar finally emerged from his den, he beckoned for the mountain cats to join him in his den. Most of the clan had been startled to see tribe cats in their camp, but dismissed them when Ratstar took them into his den.

Sootpaw laid beside the entrance tunnel to the Apprentice's den, and was dozing off when Rock Teller exited Ratstar's den, with Pebble Shore following enclose behind. Their anger was evident, and Pebble Shore's tail whipped back and forth. Sootpaw was going to meow his farewells, bit stopped short when he saw their hostility. Falconwing, Pollenpaw and Cheetahfoot escorted them back to their own territory.

Sootpaw retreated into his den and settled into his nest. Last night's rock fall had put a round hole in the roof, allowing moonlight to seep into the dark den.

Sleep pulled Sootpaw into unconsciousness, and he plunged into a dream.