12

We're sitting at dinner as usual but this time I can't stop thinking about the door we found, and the rocks falling right after. It seemed to be clear that I was lost in my thoughts because I didn't notice it until Newt placed his hand on my leg.

"Aspen?" his voice broke me out.

"Hm? Yes?" I said turning to him.

"Are you done? we've been here for hours and i'm starting to get tired."

"Yea of course we can." I said standing up lacing his fingers to mine as we walked toward the homestead. We went through our nightly routine as usual, changing clothes, discussing the day then laying down in each others arms.
Newts face seemed to soften a bit as he became more relaxed, he kept his eyes locked with mine for longer than usual.

"Can I help you?" I smiled.

"You're just beautiful." He pushed a stray hair out of my face. I felt my cheeks burn up as I inches closer to him.

"Thank you." I whispered.

Newt placed a hand on my cheek sending a chill down my spine, the gentleness about him from his eyes to his touch gave me physical and emotional chills. In turn, I placed my hand opposite of his on his cheek and touched my forehead to his. Moments after, he connected his lips with mine it was quick, yet passionate, like he'd been waiting for the perfect moment and this was it. Just us.

We pulled apart for a moment and smiled he tightened his arms around me and sighed.

"You make me so happy." he whispered into my hair.

"You're my happiness." I said closing my eyes.

What came next I never expected, i'm not even sure if it was real but Newt whispered just silently enough that I'd only hear if I was listening three simple words, "I love you." I froze, maybe I imagined it but if I didn't? I loved him too but if he didn't truly say it I didn't want to lose him by moving too quickly.

*****

"Why exactly are we doing this?" ive asked Thomas for the fifth time as we walk down the dark hallway, if were caught out past the set curfew from Chancellor Paige it wouldn't be pretty.

"For someone deemed as a wildcard youre seemingly afraid of breaking one rule. now shh before you get us caught!" Thomas whispered. I threw my hands up as to say okay and let him know he won the argument. We arrived at a door and Thomas pulled a keycard from his pocket and swiped it into a box which flashed green as a metal door opened and I saw the outline of a tall boy with beautiful blonde hair, it was Newt.

"Newt!" I ran into the room throwing my arms around him and sobbed.

"It's okay....it's okay." he said stroking my hair as always.

"i'm losing you tomorrow."

"you're not losing me..." he began.

"no. i'm losing you." I pull away and hit his chest with my fists letting tears run down my face, I won't let them take him, I can't. They took Minho who was my bestfriend aside from Thomas who was too busy being Paige's puppy dog. Newt caught my fists and cross my arms in front of my chest spinning me around and holding me from behind.

"It's going to be alright love." he whispered I could feel him trying to fight tears and stay strong for me.

"Not much longer...they'll be checking soon." Thomas said from the corner of the room.

I watched his hands fidget as he pulled off a bracelet slipping it onto my small wrist and tightening it. I recognize this, I still have it on. Turning me back around he kisses my lips and wipes the tears from my eyes.