5

Newts POV

Aspen slides chuck to my side instead of hers.

"Aspen?" Chuck asks her, she says nothing until her eyes meet mine.

"Aspen!" She only mouths that she's sorry before turning and breaking into a run, before I have time to react she's halfway into the maze, I reach my arm for her and barely grab her arm. I watch the doors close and finally realize what's about to happen to me, i'm going to lose her.

My chest aches and I drop to my knees. She told me she'd never go, I almost lost Leo today and now i'm going to lose her. Nobody survives a night in the maze.

"Newt?" Leo puts a hand on my shoulder and I place  my hand over his before he wraps his arms around me for a hug. I hold him there for a bit and as the night grows longer I find myself sitting in front of the maze along with Leo, Chuck and Alby.

"That girl....she's something else Newt. You got a lot on your hands." He laughs only trying to make me feel better.

"Yes..lets just hope I get the chance to experience it." I poke at the ground.

Leo lays his head into my lap and Chuck lays on my shoulder, I can't fall asleep. No matter how much I wanted to I couldn't until I knew she was okay. I kept hearing the shrill of grievers but never a scream so that had to mean good things. I look around, it has to be almost one in the morning. Alby, Chuck, and Leo are all asleep along with the other gladers.

Aspens POV (sorry felt like experimenting)

"Nobody survives a night in here." Thomas whispers.

"Well...we have once..you two are a lot alike"

Minho pushes his hair out of his face.

"You both ran on your first day and then ate shit, you're both hot headed, you took a liking to the younger ones...."

He let's out a breath.

"And you're both idiots." He stands up and pulls Thomas with him. I stand waiting for what happens next. There's a whirring followed by a shrill scream.

"What the hell?" I start walking toward the noise before i'm pulled back.

"You don't want to see it." Thomas whispers.

"What? Why?"

"It's a griever." Minho looks around.

"Alright...Ben's been stung we have to hide him." Thomas says lifting bens shirt.

"Stung?"

"A changer..." Thomas picks ben up and I go to the opposite side to help carry him, we follow Minho through the maze countless twists and turns for what seems like hours.

"Okay okay...under here!" Minho says breathlessly pointing to a small opening just big enough for us to slide ben under. Thomas and I lay him down slowly so he doesn't hit his head while Minho keeps watch, we cover the opening with the ivy from the walls.

"Now what?" Another scream rips through the maze.

"Now we run." Minho turns on his heel and takes off. He's fast and so is Thomas but i'm right on their heels turning just as fast as we had before, I hear metal hit the floor.

"Don't look back Aspen!" Minho shouts

I don't need to turn to know what it is, a griever. I see a section start to open meaning the one we're in is going to close soon, I run harder and just before I get to the door I turn to the griever who's stopped.

"Come one! You can do better than that!" I shout.

"Aspen!" Thomas cries.

"What are you doing shank!" Minho yells.

"Come on!" I shout again and the beast starts running toward me.

"There ya go..." I whisper and turn running toward the door that's slowly sliding shut, I just slip to the other side I watch the door crush the griever.

"Shit greenie..." Minho whispers.

"Come on....lets get out it's got to be atleast four am and those doors open at five." Thomas says looking up before we start running again. I start to recognize where we are we're getting closer but we still have a while to go.

Newts POV

I could hear all the grievers for the first time since I came up in the box. It's already five in the morning the doors pull apart which caused Leo and Chuck to wake up, Chuck had moved his head from my shoulder the the opposite side of my lap from Leo,when Leo lifts his head from my lap half of his hair is sticking out, I smooth it down for him which he fights me on. We stand but my legs feel like jelly from the boys sleeping on them all night. I watch the maze once the doors finish opening.

"Come on...." I whisper.

"Are they coming?" Leo asks holding onto my arm.

"Thomas will make it....he's done it before.." Chuck whispers trying to hold back tears I can tell.

I see Gally from the corner of my eye walking toward the wall with all the gladers names on it, he pulls his knife from his belt and looks at the wall.

"Hey! Gally." I call.

"What do you want?" He groans.

"They're coming back. I know they are..just give them time." I plead.

"Fine."  Gally puts the knife back into his belt and walks to watch the maze aswell.

"They'll make it." I hear Alby say.

We sit there for around two more hours people come and go. Alby puts a hand on my shoulder and tells me to go get some sleep. I know I won't be able to but I also know he'll make me.
Alby grabs my arm and turns me toward the homestead.

"Once she's out i'll come get you." I nod and begin heading toward the homestead. I go to the bedroom where we'd slept, her in the bed just the morning of where i'd held her to calm her down. I can't handle it, I turn toward the makeshift bathroom and splash some somewhat cold water onto my face. Walking back to my chair to sleep I close my eyes, then I hear the glorious words.

"Guys! Hey! They're back! Everyone! Someone get Newt! They did it!"