4: Candlelight

Twisting up the claret lipstick and guiding it towards her pouted lips, she stared at the made-up reflection coming out from the large, brightly illuminated wash room mirror.'Hard?'People had remarked on how when she wore such make-up; she looked hard, but dark clothes required dark accessories and strong cosmetics.Blue eyes required a deep, strong flattering frame, having had what decorated her skin applied by the professionals inside the hotel beauty salon, the frumpy mother of two agreed, when told blue eyes needed complimenting shades.'Hard?'It was true she was strong willed when she wanted to be, strong minded when needs must, but hard? Jinni had never been nor felt hard.'Her eyes looked good.'Black and wine coloured layered lace, a full length designer dress.Kimi ignored her friends' disinterest in accepting something new to wear for her big night out, approaching Clifton for advise the youngsters in the all female party had taken it upon themselves to go into the closest designer boutique to find a dress.'If honest, Jinni couldn't have chosen better.'Lace, elbow length sleeves and a plunging cleavage, not overly revealing, but low enough for the wearer to be thankful of the built-in support.Swapping her ankle boots for jewel encrusted designer shoes, the'Wow!'she received from her friends' meant her outfit had everyones seal of approval.

"You look good."Combing through her full fringe; she couldn't believe the long loose curls were still holding.'Up & down.'Those to have convinced her she should wear her hair swept back at the sides, pinned up to give height on top and left to hang down in long loose curls at the back, had clearly known what they were doing when styling what was false in with what she'd home grown.'Beautiful.'The length and texture of Jinni's hair meant her living in constant dread of the day when her naturally dark locks began to show signs of grey.'Yes she looked good, or at least all right.'

Thirty-five, Jinni knew of many her age who already shown signs of ageing.Wrinkles, shadows under the eyes, bags and the sprouting of course grey hair.The sudden appearance of stubble in places where hair wasn't wanted and the constant clicking and stiffening of ageing bones.'You never seem to age.'That's what people would say, but the reflection looking back at her was never the same.A smooth flawless complexion with red cheeks and a cheeky grin.Teenage years had brought greasy hair, acne, growing pains and tears, while adulthood brought water retention, weight gain and a couple more chins to accompany the cellulite and ever-increasing fear that everything was heading south.'How could she not look her age?'Perhaps she'd always looked thirty-five? Like most woman content within their marriage and happy with their life; when out in the big wild world, Jinni found herself lacking confidence and seeking a place to hide.'She didn't want to be put on display.'

Checking and rechecking her appearance from top to toe. Still with her friends, she walked into the cubicle inside the ladies restroom attached to the hotel's grand and exclusive restaurant.

"It isn't polite to keep them waiting."Kimi urged. Knocking on the closed door behind which their anxious friend had disappeared."They're not the normal rife raff that take us down the local Indian for a curry and a grope, these guys are super stars."Lynn dug Kimi with her elbow, silencing her words and encouraging her to come away, leading her over to the grey slate coloured granite handbasin's with gold plated taps and brightly illuminated mirrors as other restaurant guests entered to check make-up and wash their hands.

"I can't do this."Emerging from where she'd sat hiding, Jinni washed her hands before checking her hair and retouching her make-up."This isn't me."She shook her head.Invited to join her following the meal.'A private party.'While her friends' kept themselves busy elsewhere, Jinni would be inside the fine dinning restaurant with all seven members alone.

"If you back out now, we miss out too."There to give support, Lucy demanded she sort things out and stop thinking of herself.'Bit rich.'

"Tell them I'm sick."She wasn't lying.Jinni felt physically ill, panicked and unsure.