17: Two of Them

One week, two, before they knew it six weeks had come and gone.'Six weeks, seven.'With very little communication, weeks turned into months and the months made way for another year.'Divorced.'Things between Jinni and John remained strained, he hadn't fought her over custody of the children and the local council allowed her and them to remain in what had been the family home.'Amicable.'Jinni saw no sense in denying a father unlimited access to his children, but she drew the line at allowing him to stay over in what was now her house.'John visiting meant him sacrificing free use of the front door key which he returned on request.'One year, with the passing of time everything became easier, Jinni's only rule for remaining friends with her ex-husband was that he told her no more lies. 'Marriage.'When Amy finally got what she wanted and Jessica returned with the beautifully bound photograph album and recording of her fathers' big day, Jinni smiled politely and agreed to look at everything later.

Over, John had moved on.He had cried and told Jinni he would leave his mistress if she asked him to, but she didn't.'She wouldn't because she couldn't.'To say she and John could go back to being man and wife would be a lie she wasn't prepared to live.'Was he happy?'Why was she bothered, so long as he and his new wife never used or hurt her children, Jinni told John he could do whatever he wanted to do and in marrying Amy he had done what others expected him to do, John and Amy were husband and wife.'A third Mrs. Dunkirk.'Jinni chose to keep the surname on her first marriage certificate because she wanted to continue to share the same name as her children

A wedding like no other

"I do."

"I do."On the fifth day of April, they did.Hoping to avoid the forecasted monthly showers, Ms Amy Richard got what she described as being the wedding of her dreams.With Jessica as bridesmaid, her brother JJ reluctantly agreed to stand as an usher, not the ring barer or pageboy.'Usher meant him & his dad would wear the same style suit.'Jinni smiled and said she was proud.

"You looked stunning, beautiful."She told her daughter she looked the part and made her proud as she watched what had been recorded.

"So proud."A male voice announced.

"John? I didn't hear you come in.I'll get this all put back in its box."She jumped up to stop what she and her daughter had been watching.

"No rush, we have copies."He smiled.Inquiring as to whether Jinni was all right?

"Fine.You?"While they managed to remain civil, the two to have been married for eighteen years had struggled with being in the same place at the same time in the beginning.'Lucy said she would have killed him.' Jinni's neighbours had called John all the names under the sun and asked Jinni if she wanted them to make him suffer.'Jinni believed she'd suffered enough for both of them & wanted to move on.'

"I'm good. JJ let me in."He explained his presence.

"The children are almost ready."Startled by his arrival, John being there wasn't unexpected, there to collect his children for the weekend."Are you going out?"He attempted to make conversation as with a shrug Jinni said maybe."No sign of wedding bells for you."He stated.

"I hope that wasn't a serious question?"Jinni reminded John the ink on their decree absolute was still wet."I'm in no rush."She told him.

"No, sorry, I guess I'm hoping to see you happy too." Jinni was happy, John was happy and like Anna had said they would, their children had adapted.Once the ring was secured on the third finger of her left hand, Amy was happy.Having met and gotten to know his children, the new Mrs.Dunkirk thrived on being the adoring step-mother.'Amy loved John.'At least she was willing to work at being with him.'A housewife?'Who would have thought it? Amy thrived within the normal everyday life she craved.'Did John still love Jinni?'Jinni wasn't lying when she said she was happy.Separated and divorced for one week, one month and one year.Why shouldn't Jinni find herself a new life?'Why wasn't she going out?' Telling them to remember to complete their homework, the proud mother waved her children goodbye.

Long flowing gowns, gold chiffon overlaid with white lace, Jessica looked all grown-up in amongst the three others she'd said were friends who Amy use to work with, the three who like Amy looked like professional models.'Stunningly beautiful.'All four bridesmaids appeared picture perfect, just like the bride. 'Youthful.'Wearing a long flowing white dress and looking like a fairytale Princess.Jinni had to admit her ex-husbands' new wife was beautiful and on the day he had married her, John looked handsome.Grey/black top hat and tails, from the horse drawn carriage to the inside of the quaint village church.'Confetti & kisses, flying white doves & floating bubbles.'Ali had felt unfaithful when standing beside John as his best-man.'Sorry.'Jinni said she understood and was glad there would be someone there to look after her children. Ali made Jinni smile when filmed posing with JJ and seen dancing with Jessica.His after dinner speech was cleverly whit filled and his changing expressions helped anyone watching to see what was the true story of the day.From them cutting the rose encased wedding cake, to joining one another on the dance floor.

Losing count of the number of times she watched the glamour filled and grand affair.Jessica looked a picture and when carrying out his usher duties, JJ looked nervous.Watching closely, Jinni saw how the bride and groom looked like strangers, John's parents' looked proud and his friends' appeared to have a good time. 'Small & intimate.'Jessica told her mother Amy's parents' weren't there.'No family.'Despite her own hurt Jinni saw what she was watching as being more sad than it was a celebration.'No one had everything.'And it would appear the stunning bride and new Mrs.John Dunkirk had less than most.

"Cheers."Raising a glass from the bottle champagne John left for her to enjoy with a slice of wedding cake, Jinni congratulated the newly weds with a smile as their faces disappeared from the screen.'Fool?'John had walked out of one relationship directly into another, from being a husband to one wife Mr.John Dunkirk was now a husband with one wife and an ex.A father, he said Amy wanted children, but repeated the fact he saw himself as having enough.'Fool?'Was John truly happy? Was Jinni happy for her ex and his new wife?'Lonely?' Why was Jinni feeling lonely when she was the one living with their children?

"Cheers!"Switching the television off and putting on her music, Jinni realised she could do whatever she wanted to do.'Why was she sitting inside her house?' What was it Jinni wanted? On the nights she was left alone because JJ and Jessica visited their dad.Jinni found herself asking what she was doing hiding herself away and remaining home alone.