18: Two

April, May, June, July, before anyone knew it, it was another August and Jinni was preparing to celebrate another year.Her birthday, her friends' told her she couldn't and shouldn't stay home alone.Refusing to go to a concert and not wanting to stray very far, when Lucy invited her mother and sister along with Ali, Jinni agreed to a night out.Walking into the crowded club, the female counting another year of life was out because it was her birthday.'Thirty-eight.'Where had the time gone? The local workingman's club was advertising a seventies night and so her friends and neighbours had called upon her mum, sister and Ali to encourage the free and single birthday girl to venture out into the open.Despite the passing of time and the fact everyone and everything seemed to be settled, Jinni wasn't ready to face crowds. She would never admit it to John but the truth was she hadn't turned into a raver on her carefree, child free weekends of self indulgence.'Alone,'Jinni couldn't get use to being single.Walking into the club like a lost sheep, she ordered a shandy and sat with her group on a long table to the side of the dance floor.

A seventies night, the music was great and like always Ali was an asset no party should be without.Singing along to the well known and popular songs and chatting whenever there was a gap to be filled.The only male amongst the party of celebrating females made certain each of his ladies got a turn on the dance floor.Sitting as the music slowed and the usual end of evening romantic ballads began to play, all in Jinni's group were content to sit back and watch.

"Always the bridesmaids and never the brides."Ali too was running out of steam and feeling a little sorry about the fact none had attracted any admirers.Sat side by side, all were unaware someone had been watching someone amongst them.

"Would you like to dance?"Jinni didn't see where he came from, because she hadn't noticed him, not like he had noticed her.

"Go on."Her mother encouraged as the birthday girl looked to the one requesting her to join him?

"I would."Ali winked.'Who wouldn't?'Dark hair, dark, deep brown eyes and a young, flawless completion. Young, there was no doubting he worked out because that was what others of his generation did. 'Young?'He appeared much younger than Jinni.'He was only asking for a dance.'

"Go on with you before the music stops and it's too late."Giving in to peer pressure she agreed, feeling like the boys mother as he introduced himself as Shane. 'Aged Twenty-two.'It felt strange being held by the arms of a male who wasn't John.Assuring her the two had looked great together, all in her party wooed and whistled when Shane escorted the birthday girl back to her table and thanked her for the dance.Eager to know if the dance would lead to more, Jinni's friends' and family asked if the two had spoken about meeting again.

"He's nice."She said as faking a hot sweat, Ali told her she meant to say gorgeous.

"Sexy."Ali commented.

"Very sexy."Mrs.Harrison corrected what Ali agreed with.

"Mother."Jinni couldn't believe the reactions of those there giving moral, or should that be immoral support.

"Great back side ah Mrs.Harrison."Whilst Jinni avoided eye contact, her mother and Ali weighed up the male showing his interest.

"So, are you seeing him again?"All wanted to know, but for Jinni it had been nothing more than a dance.

"He's a looker our Jinni. I'd not have been so slow on the uptake if I was you."Her mother's statement again shocked those listening as she encouraged her daughter not to be such a prude.

"Way to go Mrs.Harrison!"Ali asked his friends' mother why the two hadn't had a night out together before.

"She always gets them falling at her feet."Lucy announced.The look aimed in Jinni's direction reminding her how John and Alex had found her irresistible.