6: Home Sweet Family

Dropping the four heavy, filled to bursting shopping bags down onto the breakfast bench, Jinni heaved a deep sigh of relief.'Kids at school & John at work.'It felt good to be back in the old routine.Filling the kitchen cupboards, the home alone wife and mother hoped to be able to manage a quick coffee before her brood got home.'Casserole for dinner?'All she had to do was to add the preprepared carrots, swede and potatoes in with the diced beef and other ingratiates simmering in the bubbling slow cooker.'Down to a three day week.'For John work was slack, like many specialised trades, her husbands' career suffered ups and downs resulting in paydays bringing a mix of highs and lows.'Dinner on.'At least feeding the family would never be a problem, Jinni's part time wage saw them right.Working for a top supermarket chain made every Thursday bargain day, half price meat could be frozen for up to three months past its' sell by, over ripe bananas made tasty deserts when mixed with cream or custard and free carrier bags made ideal pedal bin liners.Dented or label-less tin cans made mealtimes more interesting.'So what, if they weren't rich.'They managed, they were happy and there was nothing Jinni didn't have, she couldn't live without.

Dinner time in the Dunkirk house was sit down and talk time.At dinner Jinni, John and their children would discuss their day while sitting together around the dinning table; where every day the children would grumble about their teachers and complain about the vast amount of homework given, encouraged to continue to do their best, JJ and Jessica would ask for help if needed.Mealtime was talk time, John would tell of his hope that his work would improve, discuss who he'd seen and tell his family about the jobs he'd seen in the early edition of the evening paper.Evening mealtime was family gathering time and time for Jinni to sit and listen. A mother and housewife, her children's dresser, nursemaid and main escort, her husband's everything; Jinni had a thriving part time career outside the home, yet rarely did she get the time to say anything about her and her day.Mrs.Dunkirk agreed and quite often disagreed with what was being discussed by her family, Jinni had opinions and emotions; both of which she was never afraid of expressing, but first and foremost, Jinni was a mother, devoted to and adored by her family, so long as she had them, Jinni was happy'Wasn't she?'In spite of the hardship created by being young, the family which numbered four was happy and content.'Weren't they?'Mealtimes weren't the only times they united, the four were together whenever they needed to be.School sports days, school drama productions, swimming galas and football matches.The close family also shopped together, making decisions for one another, all chose what they ate, what they drank and what each would wear?

A true family,'The Dunkirk family.'It made little difference from which angle he shot, it didn't matter whether he was near or far, not even through rain covered glass could the photograph disguise the happiness being expressed by a mother and her family.'No one special?'Jinni was nothing more, nothing less than an ordinary woman, a mother and wife, a woman devoted to her family.Not even through the lens of a camera was there any mistaking those who were living a loyal, loving and contented life.'A happy family.'Clifton was pleased.'He knew Alex wouldn't be.' Nevertheless the mature and gallant gentleman who was Mr.Clough liked the way Jinni and her family were bonded.When spoken to, like any and most probably every other mother could, Mrs.Jinni Dunkirk would point out her life's imperfections.'No ones life is perfect.'But any imperfections within the Dunkirk family were so trivial they ceased to exist when their images were captured on film.From the school run to days spent enjoying the sun on the lawn in front of their home, from her going to and returning from work, when with her family, Jinni was greeted with fondness and surrounded by love.Kisses, hugs and glances which told the world they were happy, not special, wealthy or famous, the Dunkirk family were people not afraid of allowing the world to see they were a strong, loving and loyal unit.'Perfect.'Clifton was happy to be informing Alex of how Jinni was safe and more than happy with her family and the life they led.