Regret

"Girls stop running. Remember what I said about running down the stairs?"

The twin girls stopped in their tracks, held each other's hands and started to walk slowly down the stairs. "Sorry mommy. We'll be good."

"Thank you, babies. Dinner will be ready any minute now. Why don't help mommy by helping to finishing setting the table, okay?"

"Alright mommy."

Apple and Achara proceeded to use a stool to gather plates and cups. Myra smiled at them her eyes glistening realizing how her babies were growing up right before her eyes. She quickly wiped her tear and returned her focus to finishing the dinner. After meeting up with Boonsri (Pym) earlier this afternoon, she happily invited the woman over for a home-cooked meal. So here she was preparing a hearty meal for her newfound friend. Myra was just turning off the oven as she heard the doorbell.

"Doorbell!" Apple bounced up and down on her heels as Achara ran to the door. Myra chased after her daughter telling her not to open the door without asking who it is first.

"Who is it?" Achara's called out in a sing-song voice. Myra chuckled and opened the door to find Boonsri (Pym) standing there with a tray of individual servings of mango sticky rice. She hugged Myra and handed her the dessert tray.

  She hugged Myra and handed her the dessert tray

"Hi Myra. How are you?"

"I'm great. Just corralling these two little troublemakers." The two women laughed as Myra lead them to the formal dining room. "Please have a seat and I'll bring out the food."

Boonsri (Pym) surveyed the house noting the cozy feel to the home. There were pictures of the children everywhere. Their drawings adorned a corkboard at the entrance to the kitchen and there were toys strewn about the floor in front of the television. It was a typical family home. One would never think it was the home of a philandering abusive bastard and his secret family. Pym couldn't help but feel sorry for Myra. In the short time she'd known the woman she surmised that Myra was oblivious to her husband's machinations. Like Kongpob she was a victim and needed to be freed. Unlike Kong, however, Myra was unaware of her bondage.

"Dinner is served. Girls, go wash up and take your seats. Thank you ladies."

"Oh, my goodness. Look at all of this. I can't believe you made all of this for me."

"Well I haven't had anyone to cook for so I may have gone a little bit overboard." Pym's mouth watered as she saw the offerings laid out on the table. Crispy tofu, wonton soup, spicy basil, pad woon sen and a platter of Siam chicken. With the mango sticky rice, it looked more like a New Year celebration than a simple dinner.