A Father's Love

Kongpob was the first to stir awake. He was momentarily startled when he felt someone next to him, but he quickly smiled when he realized it was Arthit. He slowly turned to face him so he wouldn't wake him. He reached out to softly touch his cheek to make sure it wasn't a dream. Arthit had been gone from his sight for so long, and he had wished for this moment countless times. Oh, how he wished he could freeze time and hold this moment forever. Sadly, Kongpob knew the outside world was waiting like a ravenous beast to devour their happiness. Just as he was freed from one treacherous situation, he was thrust into another. How vicious life was! Where was God in this, Kongpob wondered. 

All he wanted was to be with Arthit and, for once, savor all the good life had to offer. Instead he was here in a strange house hiding from someone doing their best to kill him. The enormity of his situation forced open the dam he had put up against all his emotions and tears formed in his eyes. As he lay his head upon Arthit's sturdy chest, he allowed the tears to fall.

Feeling the moisture on his chest, Arthit's eyes fluttered opened. It took seconds for him to realize what was happening and he began to soothingly run his fingers through Kongpob's soft hair.

"Your tears are too precious. Why are they spilling this morning?"

Kongpob raised his head and met Arthit's gaze.

"Why can't we just be together? Why is all of this happening?"

"My dearest Kong. You needn't worry. I will give my last breath to protect you."

"That's what I'm scare of Arthit. Now that I have you, I don't want to lose you. I love you too much." Arthit cupped Kongpob's face and wiped his tears with his thumbs. The brightening sunlight that made its way through the window framed Kongpob's face making him look like an angel. Arthit smiled and kissed Kongpob.

"Hold onto that love and let it comfort you."

"Why does that sound like goodbye? Are you leaving again?"

"Yes, but you're coming with me this time."

The two men left the bed and headed for the closet to begin packing their things.

A shadowy figure clad in midnight black strode through an empty street looking for an address. The rain was coming down in sheets reducing visibility to almost zero. After walking for several more minutes, the figure stood before large wooden double doors held together by a thick chain. Just as the figure was making a retreat, the doors opened, and the chain was removed allowing the figure to enter. 

The footman clothed in formal burgundy livery with golden accents closed the door and motioned to take the water-soaked cloak from the figure

The footman clothed in formal burgundy livery with golden accents closed the door and motioned to take the water-soaked cloak from the figure. Shedding the drenched outer garments, the figure handed them over and walked further into the establishment. The darkness quickly gave way to the billowing low light from orange globes located in the corners of the room. They gave the room the appearance of sunset, though there were no windows to speak of. None of the room's inhabitants spared a glance at the figure as it moved to an ornately gilded desk where a patrician woman sat. She looked at the figure over her glasses and presented a book to be signed.