3. To x the x Exam

Pan Tyche's POV

As we walk off the ship, the captain pulls Gon off to the side. I think nothing of it as I continue walking over to the giant map.

"So, Dolle Harbor? Either of you been here before?" I ask Kurapika and Leorio.

"No. . ." Leorio trails off. I look towards Kurapika who shakes his head.

"This should be fun." I say. I reach into Callie and take out some rice cakes I made at Mito's house.

"Hey guys!" Gon shouts as he runs towards us. He tells us what the captain told him about a short cut.

"Huh. . . That's strange." Leorio says.

"Why?" Gon asks.

"According to the notice I received, the exam is supposedly being held somewhere in Zaban City. Right now where here." Leorio says as he points to the map. "That tree is in the opposite direction."

"Perhaps you misheard him?" Kurapika suggests.

"No, he told me to head toward that cedar tree."

"I see. . ." Kurapika trails off.

"I say we follow the captain's tip. This is part of the Hunters Exam. It would make sense for them to throw in a task like heading the opposite way you need to go for a short cut. For the most part, it's unexpected and sure to cause people to take the long way to the city." I state, munching on my rice cakes.

"This notice isn't any help! Where, exactly, in Zaban City are we meant to go?" Leorio complains.

"Our task is to find the exam site, using a limited amount of information. Just another test before we'll be allowed to take the Hunters Exam. Pan is right. Going to the Cedar tree seems like it would be the correct move, despite it being the opposite direction from where we actually have to go." Kurapika states.

"Yup. I'll go have a look. The captain must have had a reason to suggest it." Gon says as he walks off. I follow behind him.

"Hey, hey. You're serious? The bus to Zaban is about to leave. We should just take it."

"I've already explained where I stand on the matter. Besides, Gon's behaviour interests me more that the captain's tip." Kurapika says as he catches up with us.

"So, would either of you guys like a rice cake?" I offer, both of them accept. "Great. Say Kurapika, I need to talk to you-" I get cut off.

"WAIT FOR ME!" A familair voice shouts. Leorio catches up to us and quickly catches his breath. "Well, I knew you guys would be lonely with out me. ANd it's no fun to travel alone. So I decided to stick with you guys for a while longer." Leorio says.

"Great, so hang out with Gon for a bit, I need to talk with Kurapika." I tell him, pushing him in front of Kurapika and me.

"Wha- Ooooooh I get it, have fun you two." Leorio says, winking.

"No." I sigh. "Before I get into what I really want to talk about, I want to tell you about Gallos Island. It's a beautiful island that Hunters tend to move to when they retire or want to go into hiding. The only people allowed on the island are those who were born there and Hunters. The closest any outsider can come is to the port, that rule was set in place for trading. There's also a peace rule. The rule states that there is to be no serious fighting, as in fighting with the intent to kill."

"That sounds like a lovely home, but why are you telling me this?"

"Kurapika, three years ago, a boy around my age moved to the island. He and I quickly became friends and he revealed to me who he was. His name was Rein, he told me he was a surviving member of the Kurta Clan. Did you know him?" Kurapika pauses for a moment before continuing to walk.