Two

I'm so, so bored. My head is in my hands, eyes flitting up to the clock every five seconds. I can't help it, I have no interest for any of this. My patience is reaching its end. If I listen to my teacher drone about Mayans and Aztecs for ONE more minute....

I need to practice.

I need to get home.

I can't deal with this!

My eyes peek at the clock again. Five more minutes. It's okay, I can do this.

I jerk alert as the afternoon announcements come on. It's still pretty boring, but as least there are some important things. For instance...

"...as some of you may already know, there is a new club to help mated students identify colors! Many of you high schoolers have already been seeing these colors, this new club will help you learn the many names. Meets every day after school at 4 pm..."

All our parents got an email about this the night before, so most of us know already, but it doesn't slow the buzzing excitement in the classroom. This new club is all anyone is talking about. I feel so left out.

I obviously can't go.

I adjust my glasses and stare down at my desk, trying to blink back tears. Why ME of all people, that had to be so unlucky?

There is barely anyone in my grade that hasn't found their soulmate. I'm going to be 17 in two weeks, and I'm starting to lose hope. What if...I never find them?

I am SO relieved when the bell finally rings. I need to get out of here.

I snatch up my books and violin as quickly as I can, and hurriedly flee the classroom along with the rest of the class.

Everyone streams through the hallways, and I try to blend in with them, but I don't get very far. Two steps into the hallway, there are already a few people waiting for me.

Not in the nice way.

There are three of them, each muscly and strong. Mean unibrows settle over their eyes, looking like proper bullies.

"Hey, Yang! Still unmated?" They snicker, the first one's deep voice cutting through me. Of course I'm still unmated, and they know it. They're only doing this to torture me.

I try to step by them, keeping my eyes trained to the light gray floor. Please just let me go.

They don't.

The other two thugs step in my path. One of them laughs, "Are you wearing a red t-shirt and green pants? What is it, Christmas? Way too early, Yang, it's only April!"

I look down at my attire. Dark gray t-shirt, lighter gray pants...

"Ooh, I almost forgot, you can't see any colors! So sorry..."

He clearly isn't.

I feel a hazy anger cloud my vision. How long are they going to keep on doing this? They don't even DESERVE soulmates, how do THEY have them and not me? I can't take it anymore!

One of them must notice my anger, and says mockingly, "What are you going to do? Fight us with your violin?"

"SHUT UP!!"

Al three of them step back in shock, confused by my sudden outburst.

"I've had enough of this!" My voice echoes through the hallways. "Can't you find someone else to pick on? I haven't found my soulmate YET, because it's going to be worth the wait. If I have to wait longer than that moment will be sweeter. I will get there, and you CAN'T keep on teasing me, because when I do find them you'll be sorry." My last words come out through gritted teeth and a fake half smile.

It's silent for a few seconds and then they burst out laughing. "What, your SOULMATE is going to protect you or something? Yeah right. Well, either way, your soulmate is not here, so we can do whatever we want to you."

"No-" I start to say, but they cut me off and grab my arm, causing my books to tumble to the floor. They try to pull my violin off my back, but it's strapped tightly around my shoulders. One of them tugs my hair out of spite.

Oww!!

I scan for any teacher, and student, just anyone, but everyone has already left. My friends are probably kissing their soulmates at home.

There's nothing I can do but grit my teeth and let them pull me away roughly to who knows where.

▪️◼️◻️▫️⬛️◾️◽️⬜️▪️◼️◻️▫️⬛️◾️◽️⬜️▪️◼️◻️▫️⬛️◾️◽️⬜️