Endless Explosions

Recap:

All of sudden we heard a sound from downstairs, I never took my eyes off of those three in case they tried to get to Sirius. It sounded like footsteps.

"WE'RE UP HERE!" Hermione screamed suddenly. "WE'RE UP HERE, SIRIUS BLACK, QUICK!"

The door of the room burst open in a shower of red sparks and Professor Lupin came hurtling into the room, his face bloodless, his wand raised and ready. Hermione and Ron were on the bed. Harry had his wand pointed at me and mine at him. Sirius was hidden successfully behind me, but he was bleeding heavily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Expelliarmus!" Lupin shouted. All of our wands flew out of our hands and into Professor Lupin's hands. I really need to learn how to counter-act that. Professor Lupin moved towards Sirius and I stayed planted in front of him. He was not touching Sirius, I don't care if punching a teacher gets me expelled, I will do whatever it takes.

Professor Lupin seemed to notice this and he stopped next to me and just looked at Sirius, "Where is he, Sirius?" he asked in a tense voice.

Very slowly Sirius raised his hand and pointed straight at Ron.

"But then." Professor Lupin muttered, staring at Sirius so intently it seemed he was trying to read his mind, "why hasn't he shown himself before now? Unless," Lupin's eyes suddenly widened, as though he was seeing something beyond Sirius, "unless he was the one - unless you switched without telling me?"

Very slowly, Sirius nodded his eyes never leaving Professor Lupin's.

Switched what? Who is he? Wait a minute... I gazed at both of them, they looked the same age. I know they were both friends with the Potters. The pieces started clicking into place for me, like a jig-saw puzzle Uncle Ted was so fond of.

"Professor," Harry interrupted loudly, "what's going on?" Professor Lupin lowed his wand and slowly walked over to Sirius. I barely allowed it. Professor Lupin helped Sirius up off the floor and Crookshanks finally let go of Sirius. Sirius and Professor hugged like they were brothers.

"I DON'T BELIEVE IT!" Hermione screamed. Sirius and Professor Lupin stopped hugging and turned to her. She was pointing at Professor Lupin, wild-eyed. "You — you —"

"Hermione —" Professor Lupin tried to say.

"You and him!" Hermione breathed.

"Hermione, calm down —" Professor Lupin tried speaking again.

"I didn't tell anyone!" Hermione shrieked. "I've been covering up for you "

"Hermione, listen to me, please" Lupin shouted. "I can explain —"

"I trusted you," Harry shouted at Lupin, "and all the time you've been his friend!"

"You're wrong," said Professor Lupin. "I haven't been Sirius's friend, but I am now. Let me explain."

"NO!" Hermione screamed. "Harry, don't trust him, he's been helping Black get into the castle, he wants you dead too, he's a werewolf!" There was a ringing silence. I knew this from the start, I didn't see what his affliction had to do with anything.

"Not at all up to your usual standard, Hermione," he said. "Only one out of three, I'm afraid. I have not been helping Sirius get into the castle and I certainly don't want Harry dead." He paused briefly, "But I won't deny that I am a werewolf."

Ron tried to stand, but fell down with a whimper. Professor Lupin made toward him, looking concerned, but Ron gasped, "Get away from me, werewolf!" Lupin stopped dead.