Awaited Answers Answered

Recap:

"Well, hello, Peter," said Professor Lupin pleasantly, as though rats frequently erupted into old schoolfriends around him. "Long time, no see." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"S—Sirius... R—Remus..." Even Pettigrew's voice was squeaky, his eyes darted toward the door. "My friends... my old friends..."

Sirius raised his wand, but Professor Lupin quickly forced him to lower his hand. He looked at Sirius with an unspoken warning then spoke to Peter in a casual voice,

"We've been having a little chat, Peter, about what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed the finer points while you were squeaking around down there on the bed."

"Remus," gasped Pettigrew, "you don't believe him, do you? He tried to kill me, Remus."

"So, we've heard," said Professor Lupin, more coldly. "I'd like to clear up one or two little matters with you, Peter, if you'll be so —"

"He's come to try and kill me again!" Pettigrew squeaked, pointing at Sirius with his middle finger since his index finger was missing. "He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too. You've got to help me, Remus."

"No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out," said Professor Lupin.

"Sorted things out?" squealed Pettigrew. "I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years!"

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban?" said Professor Lupin. "When nobody has ever done it before?"

"He's got dark powers the rest of us can only dream of!" Pettigrew shouted shrilly. "How else did he get out of there? I suppose He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named taught him a few tricks!"

Sirius started to laugh, a horrible, mirthless laugh that filled the whole room. "Voldemort, teach me tricks?" he said. Pettigrew flinched as though Sirius had brandished a whip at him. "What, scared to hear your old master's name?" said Sirius. "I don't blame you, Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?"

"Don't know what you mean, Sirius." muttered Pettigrew, his breathing faster than ever.

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years," said Sirius. "You've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter. They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them. I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters on your information and Voldemort met his downfall there. And not all Voldemort's supporters ended up in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty out here, biding their time, pretending they've seen the error of their ways. If they ever got wind that you were still alive, Peter."

"Don't know... what you're talking about..." said Pettigrew again, more shrilly than ever. He glanced at Professor Lupin and I felt sick to my stomach, I could see that Ron and Hermione felt the same way. Harry never took his eyes off of Pettigrew.

"You don't believe this, this madness, Remus —" Pettigrew squeaked.

"I must admit, Peter, I have difficulty in understanding why an innocent man would want to spend twelve years as a rat," said Professor Lupin evenly.

"Innocent, but scared!" squealed Pettigrew. "If Voldemort's supporters were after me, it was because I put one of their best men in Azkaban, the spy, Sirius Black!"

Sirius's face contorted. "How dare you," he growled, sounding suddenly like the bear sized dog he had been. "I, a spy for Voldemort? When did I ever sneak around people who were stronger and more powerful than myself? But you, Peter, I'll never understand why I didn't see you were the spy from the start. You always liked big friends who'd look after you, didn't you? It used to be us, me and Remus, and James. Me, a spy, must be out of your mind, never, don't know how you can say such a —" Sirius had to take a deep breath and focus his thoughts.