"Friends"

You walked up the driveway toward the house. It towered over you as your father used to when you were small. You kept your eyes to the floor, almost seeming as if you were scared to look at it like it would swallow you whole.

That would be a relief

It wasn't as if you weren't excited to see them- of course, you were! It's just that it felt so long- too long, almost, and you were too focused on the thoughts and worries in your own head of what they might think of you now.

What if they don't like me anymore, I didn't call enough? Did I call too much?

Rain misted over you like fog, making it hard to see properly. As if tears were brimming your eyes though, that wouldn't be much of a surprise considering the anxiety attack you were spinning yourself into. You subconsciously sped up, not wanting to be caught in the rain and if you were honest- you were scaring yourself a little.

It wasn't as if there was much farther to go anyways you were at the steps and all that was left to do was to knock on the door, your hands lifted themselves, frozen into small fists. Your skin felt like it was splitting from the knuckles down when you rapped them against the wood.

You forgot about the lump in your throat for a minute, just wanting to escape the cold's bitter embrace. You zoned out in hopes that if your mind was elsewhere it wouldn't feel the freezing nipping and biting at your skin.

The door creaked open, forcing you out of your own thoughts and making the heat that was left in your body rise to your face. You looked up and saw a familiar complexion and let out a sigh you didn't even know you were holding in. Mrs Grose looked you up and down in pity.

"What are you doing just standing in the freezing? You'll get yourself sick! Come inside- the fires on, I'll get you some tea and blankets."

You smiled at her concern and stepped inside- forgetting how big the house actually was. Like you do every year, you set your bags down on the floor and took in the smell of polished wood and cinnamon. You heard the rumbling upstairs and stayed, waiting for the Fairchild siblings to come running to you, like eager puppies, and throw themselves at you.

Flora came first, sliding across the shiny floorboards in her socks, a tactic you and Miles had shown her when playing tag around the mansion. You picked her up and spun her around, her legs flying out behind her and laughing at the action. Then it was Miles' turn, slowly walking up to you and wrapping you into a bear hug, swaying you side to side and taking in the smell of your hair as much as he could.

There was another, unexpected pair of footsteps coming from behind the siblings, you pulled away from Miles, not expecting Mrs Grose to be done making tea yet. But instead of the older woman, you'd grown fond of, you were met with a blonde, she was lanky and her weary eyes settled into her face like she hadn't slept for weeks, her hair was frizzy and looked like it needed to be brushed out.

"Miles? Who is this? Did Mrs Grose say you could have friends over?"

You scoffed at the word "friends" you didn't mean to but, Miles didn't really have any proper friends and everyone knew you were both more than that, whether they were strangers or not.

Her eyes darted to you and her eyebrows raised in a questioning manner that made it seem like she was about to give you some attitude she would regret.

"Kate, this is Y/n, Miles' girlfriend."

Mrs Grose came and sat the tea on the table and Kate appeared to be taken aback at the mere thought of Miles getting a girlfriend.

He turned to you and gave you a certain look- he didn't like her but he couldn't make it obvious, Flora was still in the room and they weren't prepared to argue with this Kate woman in front of her. You smiled and kissed his cheek, grabbing his hand to sit down on the couch, Flora tagging along beside you both.

You knew one thing, and it was that Kate didn't like you, so you'll definitely be giving her some reasons to not like you.

words: 755

Hi loves,
How are you all? I know it's been a long time since I've written but I can't get back into my old account so I guess this is my new one. Anyways, this is like a newer version of Season Of The Witch (if you're new don't worry about it but it's another chapter in an old book of mine.) I hope you enjoy it but I will say- that I will upload just probably not regularly because it's back to school season so I need to work on that too- I just want to try this out to see how it works- if it doesn't work out then I won't upload but if it does then I will lmao-

Anyways,
I love you all
Stay safe
Wear a mask, there's still a pandemic
Black lives STILL matter and always will.