Chapter 4

4 | I'm sorry won't make it right

"I'm so sorry for attacking you the way I did." Toni rehearsed in the bathroom mirror.

"I can't say that... No I shouldn't apologize." Toni shook her head opening her clutch pulling out her Fenty Beauty lipgloss.

"Kenny. I apologize, how about we talk about it over some drinks- shit!" She groaned shaking her head again, "I can't do that. I sound desperate." Toni sighed waving the lipgloss wand over her lips.

"You got this- why am I even rehearsing this nonsense!" Toni loudly said tossing her hands up in confusion.

She slipped her lipgloss back into her clutch and pulled out her white iPhone 11 pro checking the time, she pulled her face in amusement when she saw that Michigan hadn't sent her any text or called yet. She slipped it back into her clutch, she fixed her shirt making sure her boobs weren't showing too much. She scanned herself over one last time before she walked out.

"There you are. I've been looking all over for you." Sydney said approaching Toni once she came outside.

"I was in the bathroom." Toni nonchalantly said.

"Doesn't matter." Sydney waved, "come, I need you to meet my mother in law." Sydney smiled happily pulling Toni with her.

"His mother's still alive." Toni whispered to herself.

"This is Agnes." Sydney said once they approached the old lady.

"Hi. I'm Toni, Sydney's sister." Toni smiled holding her hand out to Agnes.

"Hi baby, you're so beautiful. Sydney talks about you all the time." Agnes smiled warmly before she pulled Toni into a hug. "I'm old, so I greet people the old fashioned way." Agnes stated.

Toni nodded.

"Kenny come here." Agnes waved towards herself.

Toni frowned as Kenny approached them. She swallowed her saliva and looked around nervously.

"Babe come take a look at this!" Greg called. "I'll be right back." Sydney said before she rushed over to Greg.

"Hey grandma. You good today?" Kenny asked.

"Yes. Today is a good day, you worry too much about me." Agnes chuckled as Toni's attention fell onto her.

She arched her brows once she noticed how much Agnes's hand trembled.

"Let me help you." Kenny quickly intervened taking the cane from his grandmother as he helped her sit.

"Thank you baby." Agnes smiled up at him, "go on you two. I'll be fine, why don't you two go for a walk." Agnes said grabbing her apple juice.

"Shall we?" Kenny asked Toni offering his arm to her. "Come on, I won't bite... if you don't want me too." He smirked.

She rolled her eyes turning away from him.

Noticing how unamused Toni was he quickly straightened his face fixing his shirt, "I'm sorry about earlier. I was out of line, I shouldn't have overstepped. You can get whatever you want from the bar, drinks on me. Just tell them Kenny sent you." Kenny shrugged.

She quickly grabbed his hand once he tried to walk off. He faced her and arched his brow causing her to let go of it.

"I apologize for going off the way I did. I'm going through some personal stuff at home and I shouldn't have taken my frustrations out on you." Toni said biting her lip.

Kenny nodded.

"It's cool." He smiled before he walked off.

She groaned lowly, "what was that?" She whispered to herself in frustration. "I apologize?" She whispered again before she shook her head and looked around, where was Joshua?
__________________________

"Can I go play? Please Toni?" Joshua begged pressing his palms together looking up at her with pleading eyes.

"Fine. Just 10 more minutes then we're leaving, I don't want your dad to get more angry at me." Toni groaned pointing towards the kids.

Joshua grinned hugging her waist before he ran off. Toni took a sip from her champagne looking around, she scrunched her face as the sound of someone playing piano could be heard. She looked up at the chandelier above her. It was definitely coming from upstairs, she looked around at everyone and pulled her face at the fact that no one else was paying the piano any mind. She grabbed her clutch off the table and went upstairs. Following the sound she came to a halt in front of a door, she bit her lip before she turned the doorknob and walked in slowly. Her eyes immediately widened at the person that was playing the piano, she smiled he was so into playing he barely even noticed her walk in. She slowly closed the door making sure not to make a sound. She looked around the room placing her clutch and champagne glass down on the table by the door. She smiled at the art on the wall, she looked around before she realized the music has stopped. She turned around and faced Kenny who was already watching her.

"What brings you by?" He asked folding his arms on top of the piano with his chin resting on them.

"I don't know." She shrugged, "I heard you playing- it sounded beautiful." She said.

"You play." He said.

"No I don't-"

"It wasn't a question, of course you play. I've noticed with the way you fiddle with your hands, come play me something." Kenny said scooting over.

She stared at him for awhile before she caved nodding her head, it wouldn't hurt to play a little something. She walked around the piano and sat down beside him, she traced her fingers over the keys and smiled before she looked up right into his eyes.

"I haven't touched one of these in years." Toni giggled he smiled, "why? It seems to make you smile." Kenny said referring to the happiness she got when she touched the keys.

"It's a long story." She sighed, "I have all the time in world." Kenny said placing his hand over hers.

"But I don't." She said back removing her hand from underneath is.

He nodded understandably.

"What should I play?" She asked, "how about greatest love of fall by Whitney Houston." Kenny said.

She nodded impressively, "he has taste."

"I mean..." Kenny smiled dusting invisible lint of his shoulders making her laugh. "Come, we'll play together." He said starting to play and soon she followed.

He pulled back watching as she played the keys all on her own, he was extremely impressed with the way she played the keys. She suddenly stopped steering her attention from the keys to Kenny. He looked at her before he leaned in and kissed her lips. She sighed into the kiss as he placed his hand at the low of her back pulling her closer causing her to immediately pull back. They both frowned as they stared at one another in shock. Immediately Toni's palm connected with Kenny's cheek.

"I'm married!" She snapped getting up.

"Wait! Toni I didn't mean-" He jumped up as she grabbed her clutch and stormed out the room with him hot on her tail.

"Leave me alone." She scolded rushing down the stairs.

"I'm sorry." He said behind her.

"There she is." Sydney smiled pointing at Toni who came rushing down the stairs if she had just seen a ghost.

"Babe-"

"What's wrong with you?" Sydney frowned.

Toni froze in her tracks as her attention fell onto Michigan who stood beside Sydney with his hands resting on Joshua's shoulders who stood in front of him. Kenny soon came into view making Michigan frown, were they together this entire time?