chapter one

»BRINGS BACK THE GOOD OLD MEMORIES«

"please, deliah, fix your hair"

i groaned but did as my mother told me. its not my fault i was born with curls even a hairdesser cant keep under control.

my lil brother, zacharias, called zach, snickered. i ruined his hairstyle in response. he spent 20 minutes on it. i feel proud, yes.

my brother and i could be twins and that is scary. some people assume that the first time they meet us, because zach and i are only one year apart. we have the same uncontrollable hair, dark eyes, thick eyebrows and high cheekbones. the only major difference is our height. zach is as tall as a bear meanwhile im stuck with the size of a mouse.

my mother took a look at my slighty fixed hair through the mirror in the car and nodded shortly.

in the meanwhile our dad was looking for a free spot to park our car. "this can't be possible! no free spot and were not even fucking late"

my mother smacked my dads arm at the some moment he finally parked the car. he turned around, laid his arm on the chair and smiled sarcasticly.

"well, my dear, welcome to hellton"

this would be my first year in the school once my father attended. 1959 was the first year ever welton accepted girls in their halls. so my mother signed me in without even informing me first.

"you will be going to the same school as your father and brother, wont that be absolutely amazing for you!"

no it wont. i already hate those ugly red walls im seeing out of the car window.

the stories i have heard from my younger brother and my father are not making me look forward to my school year.

too much homework, exhausting lessons, harsh teachers and the oppression of your personal life are the ingredients for weltons success.

» «

boys were walking through the cathedral, all four of them holding banners with words i couldn't read because i was sitting between too many people. i also couldn't see their faces, because our seats are at the wall. 

"that's neil!", zach whispered in my ear.
he could of course see everyone in here.

"he doesn't look so happy tho"

i giggled quietly and mother shushed me.

after the banner holders settled down, some old guy stood up and with a speech. the director, mr nolan. he could have been a politician the way he looked and talked like.

"ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the light of knowledge"

an organ begins to play as another old man goes forward with to the youngest boys and girls in the front pew. they all hold candles, which are now being lightened.

zach had the same ceremony.
so did my father.

"one hundred years ago, in 1859, 41 boys sat in thisroom and were asked the same question that greets you at the start of each semester. gentlemen, ladies, what are the four pillars?"