chapter sixteen

»I LOVE YOU«

todd fiddled with his fingers. he didn't know if he should look on the grass or me, so he switched from second to second.

„i just needed some fresh air, everything is fine", he told me.

„if you say that even though i didn't ask, nothing is fine, todd", i said quietly, taking a seat on the swing next to his.

i put the water bottle in my right hand and offered it to todd.

he shook his head but i was persistent. eventually he takes the water.

we sat in silence for a few moments. only the music from the house echoed through our ears.

„its gonna be easier for you if you talk about it", i told him softly. i didn't want to push him, but i was there for him if todd needed any kind of help or just an ear to rant to.

„i- do- do you, when you feel like- and someone- someone", todd stuttered, making me worry even more for the young boy.

todd took a deep breath and started again. „okay, theoretically, if you feel like all animals should deserve a life appropriate for the animal and just be happy, what- what would you do if someone comes up and, and tells you his opinion. and his opinion shocks you, because he just- he just told you that animals are, uh- basically shit and therefore don't deserve a happy life?!"

i listened to quiet todds rant and felt bad for the boy. this isn't just some stupid little fear over a grade. what todd tries to tell me has been troubling him for a longer time, i think.

„and- you're shocked because, because you already knew that most of the people think like him but deep down inside you- you thought that ...maybe the people would start to realise that- that animals deserve a happy life and dont be treated...like ...trash"

todd sighed and wiped his eyes. i bit my lip and tried to think of some words of comfort.

„this old school friend of yours... jeffrey? did he say something?"

he nodded.

„im gay, deliah", he whispered, desperately trying to hold back some tears.

oh, my sweet boy. my poor baby.

„a-and he started talking about an old friend of ours and that...", todd spoke with a broken tone in his voice, „that he got caught kissing another boy and then got- got beaten up and jeffrey said he deserved it"

now, things made sense. i hope todd knew that he and animals have nothing in common, except for deserving a peaceful, wonderful and long life with lots of happy moments. that thinking should be common sense.

i quickly stood up, rushed to my friend and bent down so i could give him my biggest and warmest hug.

he deserved so much more.

„todd, i want you to know that i don't think less of you now, okay?", i whispered, „you are such an amazing, brilliant, funny, sweet, smart, lovable friend. please don't think less of yourself because other people's dumb ass opinions"