Chapter 3

A few days after the party, Nancy and Chris would eat, study and talk together all day long. Nancy found Chris funny, smart and active while Chris found Nancy creative, neat, athletic and charming.One day Chris told Nancy to come and visit him behind the school at a certain time. Nancy had no idea why, but she decided that she would go just to see. If it's something I don't want, I'll leave, she thought. When Nancy arrived she called Chris's name and a hand jerked her collar to the side of the school building. Nancy's screamed in Chris's hand as he shushed her to be quiet. Nancy said, "You almost gave me a heart attack Chris!" "Sorry,'' he said. Chris then took out a cigarette, put in his mouth and lit it. Nancy gasped at him. "What!" Chris said camly, acting like it was no big deal. "When did you start smoking?" Nancy asked, shocked. "In middle school, I was 14," said Chris. Do your parents know about you smoking?" "No," Chris said, shrugging. "Try one,the nicotine taste so good, like caffeine," He said, taking one out of the box from his pocket. "Well..." Nancy said hesitantly. "C'mon, just try just one!" Chris urged. "Oh...alright!"

Nancy grabbed the box and took one out. Nancy tasted the nicotine, taste just like caffeine! She thought. "Good...isn't it!" said Chris. "Yeah!" said Nancy. Nancy felt satisfied with a cigarette and wanted more. Nancy said, "Give another one!" Nancy reached her hand over to Chris's Box and he moved. "No more until tomorrow tonight," he said. Nancy sighed, turning away from him. That night Nacy went to bed thinking about the cigarettes. She did not know the terrible outcomes of smoking yet.

The next morning, Nancy woke up and went straight to freshen up. When Nancy was done brushing her teeth, she realized that the cigarette smell on her breath wouldn't go away and was worried that her teachers may smell it. So she chewed 4 sticks of mint gum to help with her cigarette breath.

During breakfast, Nancy's cigarette breath still lingered. She worried people would smell it. Thank God Mom didn't notice me help cigarette breath when she woke me up! Nancy thought when Rachel came and sat next to her. "Hey Nancy, how are you?" Rachel asked with a smile. "I'm fine.... How about you?" Nancy said. Nancy spoke with a mouthful of potatoes to avoid Rachel smelling her breath while she responded. Nancy kept talking with her mouth full, and when Rachel asked why, she lied saying that she was very hungry.

Every day at lunch, Nancy would go with Chris and smoke at the back of the school. Nancy started to have very smelly breath, and Rachel noticed one night. "Why do you smell like smoke? Did you just flat-iron your hair, or have you been around a fire?" she asked. Nancy became scared of what Rachel would do if she found out about her smoking, and she answered with quick-wit. "I....I...yes...I went to a campfire on Sunday, down by the outdoor shop...they have a place to hangout by the fire." She knew she sounded dumb, but there was no going back now. "Oh...okay," Rachel said, confused. She knew Nancy was lying, but instead of prying the truth out of her, she decided to wait it out.