Chapter 65 - It's Not Too Late to Do Something Now

Su Jianan put on her shoes obediently. Once done, she reached for Lu Boyan's hand and tugged. "Let's go," she said.

She dragged Lu Boyan out the door excitedly, her grin so wide that it was as if her lips had stretched all the way to the bottom of her eyes. She did not seem to have noticed at all that she had voluntarily reached for his hand.

Lu Boyan regarded her alabaster hands, which were slender and small. All of a sudden, he realized that this was what he wanted.

Fame. Money. None of them could compare to this unintended but affectionate gesture of hers.

When she had dragged Lu Boyan out of the hotel, Su Jianan turned around and looked at him smilingly. "You're not going to ask where I'm taking you?"

Lu Boyan smiled back at her. "Well, you can tell me now."

"Actually, I'm not even sure if I can find the place," Su Jianan said, holding out her hand. "Phone."

Lu Boyan handed her the phone, the same one he had grabbed on the way out of the suite. She sent Su Yicheng several texts, which the latter replied within a minute. Su Yicheng had texted back an address.

"Ah, I know this place," said the driver. "But it's a bit far. It'll take roughly 40 minutes to get there."

"That's okay!" said Su Jianan.

With much ebullience, Su Jianan dragged Lu Boyan towards the car. When they were both in the car, she started explaining to Lu Boyan without being asked. "I never met my grandparents. They both passed away when I was very young. As far as I can remember, there's only one elderly person who was very fond of me back then. I call her Granny Xu. She was the nanny who had taken care of my mother back then. She cared for my mom until I was seven. That was when she left us to return to her home town. After that, she would often come to A City to visit us. When she did, she would bring me a lot of rice dumplings that she'd made herself. I never saw her again after my mom died."

"She's from G City?" Lu Boyan asked.

"Mm," Su Jianan said, nodding. "My brother mentioned before that Granny Xu started her own restaurant after she returned to G City. Whenever he was in G City for business trips, save for his business meals, he would always have his meals at Granny Xu's restaurant. Because the taste of Granny Xu's food is the closest to my mom's!"

Forty minutes later, the car pulled up in front of a small restaurant.

It was a small noodle joint hidden within an alley of an old village. There were four sets of plain-looking tables and chairs. All in all, the place looked neat and clean.

The restaurant's lighting was dim, perhaps due to the fact that it was past its business hours. A young woman sat behind the counter, watching a movie while munching on sunflower seeds. The woman seemed to have noticed that someone had entered. "Sorry, we're closed," the woman said without raising her head.

Su Jianan remembered that Granny Xu had a granddaughter. "Maybe it's this lady," Su Jianan thought. She walked towards the counter and stood before it. "Hi."

Xu Youning raised her head and saw Su Jianan. Her eyes went wide instantly. "Eh?" Xu Youning said. When she noticed Lu Boyan, her jaw dropped. "Wow! Even more handsome than the one shown in the newspaper!"

Su Jianan smiled and spoke politely, "I'm looking for..."

"I know! You're looking for my grandmother!" Xu Youning interjected. She stood up and wiped her hands. "She mentioned you a lot over the years. Today will be her happy day. Please give me a moment, I'll call her out."

Xu Youning moved as if she were a gust of wind, parting the portiere and dashing to the back of the restaurant. Su Jianan glanced at the portiere, which looked clean but old, like it had been washed so many times that the colors on it had faded. She recalled that Granny Xu's clothes looked like that too. Memories from the time when she was cared for by both her mother and Granny Xu flashed before her eyes.