Monster

The world disappeared around Alexandra all she could comprehend was the tingling sensation in her stomach and the fact that she was pure nothingness. She jerked her eyes open to find herself in an oddly familiar room. She stepped back, thrashing her head around trying to comprehend her surroundings. A split second later she felt a prick in her arm and she saw a man sticking a syringe in her arm.

Everything came back at once.

All of it. The shooting was no longer a mystery. The past months of her life rushed through her brain, drowning her thoughts.

"You." She muttered and threw a punch squarely on Khan's jaw. A speck of blood appeared on his lip and he wiped it away in his typical cool fashion. Alexandra's fury began to build up as she leapt at him, kicking and scratching.

He stood completely still, not even bothering to fight back. This angered her even more as she tried harder and harder to push him down, to kill him. In a wave of exhaustion, it was Alexandra who finally fell to the floor. She raised her head and tears had begun to form in her eyes.

"Why?" She asked, "Why couldn't you have just left me alone?"

"Because," he replied in his deep accented voice, "You have a so much greater potential."

Shaking her head she choked out, "No. I am normal. I belong with my family and friends. And you took me away from them."

"You do not belong with them anymore. There is a reason why I sent you back. You saw that you cannot live compatibly with them. You are different now."

"But I was just going back to normal!" Alexandra insisted.

"No," Khan contended, "You were fooling yourself into going back into their ways. You know that you could never truly return to their level again. You saw how weak the others are."

"So you think that kidnapping me and forcing me to go through some training can permanently change me?" Alexandra questioned.

Khan shook his head, "No, it's not that simple. I would never waste my time with that petty training if there was not some other force at work. The truth is that while you were here I gave you a serum every night that gradually modified your whole physical and mental make-up. You are not a regular human any more, you are like me."

Alexandra felt her insides grow cold. She turned and fled, doing the only thing she knew how to do: run. She sprinted through the hallways that finally felt familiar to her. She found herself outside the holodeck and she ducked inside.

Inside she found herself surrounded by trees. She blinked through her tears at the green canopy. Then muttering she began to wander around the forest.

With each step she took mist billowed softly away from her, muffling all noise. Despite the emerald lushness of the forest it was completely dry and under any under circumstances it would have been the perfect scene for a fairy tale.

"He turned me into a killer and wouldn't even let me remember." Images of her family and friends flashed before her eyes and her knees began to buckle. She leaned against the nearest tree, feeling the soft moss between her fingers. "What am I?" As she lost all strength she let herself fall to the ground, curling into a ball. She broke into sobs, shaking and heaving.

In the shadows, another figure stood. Watching curiously. Minutes passed, seeming like hours. Finally he spoke, "I did what I had to."

The girl lifted her shaky head and spat, "What you did ruined my life."