The Room of Infinite Silence

The next morning Alexandra woke up with the break of dawn. In a matter of minutes she was dressed, fed, and ready to go. The first event for the day was the 100m dash and she was ready.

       She jogged easily to her place on the track. As she came in the crowd roared and she could discern her name being chanted over and over. She jumped excitedly and waved, feeling more alive than she had in years.

       As if someone had flipped a switch, the arena grew silent as the runners bent forward. A small bead of sweat appeared on Alexandra’s forehead as she heard the words:

       “On your mark, get set,”

       But “go” never came. Alexandra was started to see a golden light appear in front of her directly on the track. The crowd gasped in wonder as the light suddenly took shape into a person. Alexandra felt a wave of anger.

       Standing less than two feet in front of her was none other than the little fat man that had been there on the evening Khan had been taken away.

       “You!” She hissed.

       He chortled jollily, almost like an annoying child would, “Yes! It’s me!”

       Alexandra took a threatening step towards him.

       “Whoa now!” he cried, “Just take it easy!”

       “Take it easy? You want me to take it easy?” She growled, “I’m going to kill you, you little-“

       “If you kill me you’ll never see Khan again!”

       Alexandra halted and took a sharp intake of breath, “What?”

       She broke out of her amazement when she felt a tap on the shoulder. One of the Olympic officials had come up to her,

       “Sorry,” he muttered, “But your friend has to leave.”

       “Shut up.” Alexandra commanded and the official stepped back nervously, wary of the girl he knew could kick his butt in a heartbeat. She turned back to the Federation man, “What did you say?”

       “I said,” He sang, “That if you don’t kill me you might be able to see Khan again.”

       “Might? How?”

       Smiling darkly he replied, “I’m afraid we both need your help. If you come with me, we can save him.”

       The glory of the Olympics disappeared to be replaced by the hope that the one person she cared about was still alive. Alexandra nodded. The little man held out his hand and she reluctantly took it. The world disappeared and the last thing she saw of it was the official’s terrified face.

                *        *        *

       She reappeared on a small shuttle craft. She surveyed he surroundings, wary of any federation soldiers. After seeing that she was alone with the little man she began her interrogation.

       “Why do you suddenly want to save Khan?” Alexandra asked folding her arms.

       “Because I need him alive if either of you are going to help me.” He replied puffing out his wide chest.

       Laughing Alexandra asked, “And why would we ever help you?”

       “Because we have a common interest, we both want to bring Starfleet down. You two can kill the admiral and I will take his place. It’s really quite simple.”