Chapter 1

The absolute last thing the Avengers wanted to see in a busted down shawarma shop was a pristine looking Nick Fury. They sighed and took aggressive bites of their food as the Director stepped into the restaurant, trying to avoid the rubble.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your fun—"

"Are you really?" Tony cut him off but Nick continued as if he didn't.

"You're needed back at S.H.I.E.L.D. we have a little situation involving Cap."

"Little situation?"

"About, ye big." Nick held up a hand at a height in between his chest and waist.

No one knew what the hell he meant. They took final bites and dragged their bodies from the chairs and followed Nick. Thor, Steve, and Bruce were already feeling less tired making the other three Avengers a little jealous as they made their way to headquarters. Nick guided them to the large conference room and left for a brief moment. When he returned, the newly formed Avengers looked at the kid tucked behind him. Her hair was tangled and matted which stood out against the small S.H.I.E.L.D. t-shirt turned dress she wore that had her looking relatively clean... and she was barefoot?

"Oh, an actual little situation. When in the hell did you get a kid?" Tony asked.

"She's not mine dumbass, that's where Captain Rogers comes in."

The team turned to look at Steve who seemed just as shocked and confused. Nick pointed the girl to the empty chair beside Steve. She quietly walked over, hands clasped behind her back, and sat down. She pulled the chair into the table and only looked at Nick, not knowing anyone else in the room. Although the girl barely knew the director, but a few hours was more than the rest of the people at the table.

There were two thoughts going in the Avengers' heads. One, how the hell did Steve have a child who was clearly too old to be right after he was taken off ice. And two, she looked absolutely nothing like Steve. Brown hair, skin, and eyes. Everything opposite the Abercrombie & Fitch poster boy.

"Miss Rogers was rescued from a HYDRA facility, an attempt at reopening the Red Room. Along with Dr. Erskine's stolen notebooks apparently some of your DNA was also stolen, Cap. Miss Rogers is the first child to survive after birth."

"You're positive she's the only one?" Clint asked, his fatherly instincts already kicking in.

"Yes. While we couldn't recover Dr. Erskine's files, we found their logs. None of the other children seemed to survive, inheriting some of Cap's ailments from before the serum or their mothers died before giving birth."

Steve shifted uncomfortably. "And when we say DNA..."

"Dr. Erskine ever hand you a cup not for a drug test... your silence answers that for me. We'll gladly do a paternity test again with you here but from the swabs when we defrosted you, it's a match."

Nick tossed a file to Steve and pulled up the same one on a screen for the rest of the team to see. Steve flipped through it, seeing the child's age. Twelve. Born at the turn of the new millennium. According to the file, HYDRA picked her mother based on IQ— apparently one that could rival Tony or Bruce— kidnapping her when on a graduate trip to Russia. The child was supposed to be the perfect combination of the best attributes... and then they killed her mother in front of her when she was old enough to process death. HYDRA spent years trying to break her so they could send her into the Red Room and remold her as the perfect spy. But instead of breaking the child, they just made her retreat into her shell.