Chapter 25

"You look so pretty," Steve cooed over the video call.

Sarah was standing in the living room in her dress for the homecoming dance, Pepper holding the phone so the girl could be seen full body. Sarah shifted awkwardly in the heels— she only felt comfortable walking in them when the weight was all on her toes like a pointe shoe, but that would look a bit ridiculous the whole night. Walking back into her room, she switched the high stilettos she bought for the backup wedges. Sarah came back out and Steve couldn't stop gushing to the amusement of Sam and Bucky.

"Dheaidí! Dheaidí, I'm going to be late getting MJ. Dad, Uncle Jamie, stop him."

Sam and Bucky laughed. Bucky finally got Steve to stop while Sam took over the call.

"One more time for us, how's the evening going to go?"

"I'm going downstairs where Happy's waiting, we're gonna pick up Ned and MJ and then go to the dance. Happy won't be able to pick us up till the end of the dance because of moving so we can't leave unless we get hungry then we can go to the diner across from school but nowhere else... oh, and no underage drinking, drugs, or debauchery of the sorts. Yes?"

"Yep, that's everything. Sorry we can't drop you off but we should be back by early morning."

Sarah nodded in understanding. Missions couldn't be helped and if it was truly important to her then they would find a way out completely but sometimes, they could only buy themselves a couple hours. Sarah gave the three of them a final wave before Pepper hung up and handed the phone back to her so she could go into the car with Happy. MJ and Ned were picked up and they made it to the dance a little late on purpose so the dance would already be well on its way when they arrived. Sarah spotted Liz as she walked in and bounded over to her.

"You look so nice," Sarah complimented with a big smile.

"Thanks, you look good too." Liz looked behind her. "My dad's grilling Peter."

"Dad talk? That's going to take a while, come dance with us."

Liz let the other girl lead her toward the group. The music picked up and they just had fun dancing and messing around. The others weren't as enthused at first but once they realized that for Sarah, who had spent her whole life under HYDRA and then Avengers, this dance was a first for her and they started to get into it as well. The dance wasn't like the movies Sarah watched but it was just as exciting to her.

Sarah went with MJ to go get some punch, leaving Ned and Liz for a moment. As MJ grabbed a cup, she noticed Peter finally enter the dance looking visibly shaken. He said something to her and started to walk out of the other doors, practically running when he cleared the crowd of students. MJ quirked an eyebrow and made a move when Sarah placed the cup in her hand.

"I'll get him, go back to dancing."

She left, following him down the hallway.

"Peter!" Sarah yelled as he lifted up a set of lockers where his old suit was hidden under.

"I've got to go."

"Without me?" She looked at the suit in his hand.

"I got you benched. I'm not hurting you again, stay and enjoy the dance."

"You know I can't not help."

"The guy with the wings is Liz's dad."

"What?!"

"Call Happy or Mr. Stark or anyone, maybe they can stop him first but I've got to go. And get Ned, he's kind of been my guy in the chair."

"Okay. Go get your guy, Peter Parker."