Chapter 13

Back to school shopping was a lot easier when school had already started. It qas only a couple weeks late from when Midtown started but they still enrolled Sarah anyway— of course, they weren't going to turn down Captain America's daughter. She had yet to actually go to the school but her first day and tour were all going to be rolled into one. Sam joined Sarah and Steve for shopping.

"Sarah! Which one?" Sam called out from the end of the aisle, she and Steve looking at fancy stationary against the wall. He held up two backpacks for her to look at.

"Isn't that sweet," a woman walking past said as she put some school supplies in her cart. "It's so nice to see a father spending time with his daughter."

"Oh, no, ma'am. No, she's— ma'am she's no—"

"Dad! I can't tell the one on the right," Sarah called to put Sam out of his blubbering misery.

Both Sam and Steve faltered. Steve was red and if blush showed up on Sam, he was sure it would be there. Steve recovered before Sam.

"Right one is light purple with blue flowers, Babydoll."

At Steve's nickname for her, the woman looked between him, Sarah, and Sam. Sarah watched her face go through many emotions and then settle on confusion.

"He's my real dad, same hair." Sarah pointed to Steve.

"Oh."

That was all the woman said before walking off. Sarah couldn't tell what she meant but it probably wasn't the best because both Sam and Steve attempted to pull the brims of their baseball caps even lower.

"Is it a clashing blue? Because it all looks the same right now," Sarah said going back to the task at hand.

"They go together."

Sarah looked at the two backpacks. Not that she didn't trust Steve but she also didn't trust Steve. Yeah, sure he was an artist but Sarah still didn't quite believe his sense of what looked nice.

"I'll take the green one."

She placed the stationary they were looking at in the cart and walked off to go find the rest of the supplies. She only made a few steps when Sarah realized no one was behind her.

"Dheaidí? Dad? Calculators... ooh, lip gloss."

Steve grabbed the shopping cart and both he and Sam went to grab her a calculator while she got distracted by makeup.

"Captain Rogers, it's an honor to meet you. My grandfather served with your Howling Commandos, Jim Morita?" the principal shook Steve's hand rather enthusiastically.

"Jim, good man. Always making us laugh," Steve chuckled at the memory making the principal giddy.

Throughout the tour, students and teachers alike kept staring. Mainly because Steve was in his stealth suit. He would've worn something casual but he was called on a mission and had to leave immediately. He was already pushing it by telling S.H.I.E.L.D. that he was taking Sarah to her first day of school, mission or not, and they would have to accept him being late.

"And this is the chemistry lab and your first class of the day Miss Rogers."

Everyone in the class, including the teacher, moved to the door to see Steve. He gave an awkward wave and then turned to Sarah.

"I gotta go now, Sarah."

"How long?"

"Two weeks."