5 - Emotions

MERUEM

"4-3-3 pawn." I say and observe Komugi's movements. It has been a few days and ever since I found the genius gungi champion, I didn't stop to think of resting anytime soon. However, when Mehana arrives, the seat in front of me will have to be hers.

Ever since I had learned the new action called 'hug,' I have been contemplating about human actions and emotions. The girl taught me a new action that is unbefitting of a ruler. Pouf will probably be devastated if I show it in front of him.

A hug...

I stared at the gungi board in front of me, deep in thought. The hug was warm. It felt like I was back in my mother's womb, though it wasn't necessarily that pleasant since I was trapped and couldn't move around a lot.

"...Supreme Leader?" Komugi's voice startled me back to reality. My eyes slightly widened and I looked at the girl across from me.

"Repeat your move." I simply said.

"9-3-4 fortress."

I racked my brain again and thought of a move to plan out my strategy when suddenly, the punching bag barges into the room without warning.

"Oh...um hi. Sorry to disturb you guys..." She laughs nervously and slowly steps back. I stared at her from afar as she glanced at me, to Pouf, and finally at Komugi. I couldn't help but smile a bit. She really is an amusing spectacle.

"No need. Just sit anywhere." I beckoned her to me with a finger. She looks at me before nodding and sitting right next to our game.

Hm...I wonder why her cheeks are so red.

"4-5-3 spy." I grin, determined that I will win. However, Komugi dismissed my victory in another single move, just like she always did. My mouth curved downwards in less than a second.

"Hehe...so cute." I heard the punching bag giggle.

"Who are you calling cute?" I faced her with an unpleasant expression.

"You." She grins. I didn't reply but instead continued my match with Komugi. I didn't notice it before but Komugi also seems to be smiling at her comment.

"Why are you both smiling? Is something funny?" My brow twitched at the idea of my confusion. I like things to be predictable so their unreasonable giggles made me quite irritated.

"Ahem..." The punching bag coughs before holding back a laugh. "Well, Komugi-chan was probably laughing at what I said since you are the supreme leader after all and it's quite rare for someone to even dare call you cute. As for me, you were pouting after Komugi blocked off your path to victory, which is why I found you quite cute at that moment."

For some unknown reason, my heart began to race when she looked at me with bright eyes that curved in delight. I placed a hand on my chest for a moment, wondering why my heart was like this. However, I shrugged it off a second later and focused on finishing the game so I can play with the other human. Wait...when did I begin to think like this?

I frowned and placed my piece on the board, which Komugi responded to quickly after I said it.

When I played with Komugi back then, I sought for a clean win. All I thought about was beating her in Gungi once and for all. Yet now, I wasn't thinking of winning. Instead of success, I just wanted to play with the punching bag. But why?