15 - Meruem and Mehana

MERUEM

"Familiar...yet I can't remember..." I stagger and clutched my forehead. I felt dizzy for some reason.

This girl...I know her. But why can't I remember her?

"Are you sure you don't remember?" She approaches me, placing a hand on a cheek. It is...warm. Warm? Warmth?

What the...this was the sensation I was missing? Warmth? The word that was on the tip of my tongue. Warmth?

Such an easy and simple word, yet I couldn't think of it fast enough. This woman bought me warmth and gave me the answer. Her name...

"Mehana?" The word slipped out of my mouth before I can stop myself. It felt so natural as if I said this name at least once every single day.

"Yes, Meruem?" She smiles, blinking away her tears. My head throbbed and suddenly everything came back to me. The first time we met, our first kiss, the way our bodies mingled with one another, and last but not least, the meaning of her name.

We really do match each other. Meruem and Mehana, light and warmth. I smiled and pressed my forehead against hers.

"I didn't remember you at first..." I whispered. "You forgive me, right?"

"You are lucky that I'm in a good mood right now. Fine, you are forgiven." She grins and wraps her arms around my neck. Then, I realized that I was still poisoned by the old man's final move.

"Don't touch me!" I pushed her away, fearing that I might cause her to be poisoned as well.

"It's fine. I know better than anyone that you've been poisoned." She wraps her arms around my waist tightly. "I don't mind dying by your side. Plus, what better than to die by my Dad's poison?" She laughs, even though I can see the painful wrinkles near her eyes.

"Your Majesty-!"

"Pouf...I do not deserve your loyalty." I said abruptly and watch as his eyes widen, tears shedding uncontrollably. It was about time to give up anyway. "I have no ambition nor desire. I am not the King you dream of."

"N-No...Your...Majesty..." Pouf scratches the cement with his nails, holding back his sobs. I close my eyes as he coughs out blood, his heart slowly stopping its rhythm.

"Rest in peace..." Mehana mumbles and holds my hand. We both paid our respects ('F's in the chat oof) to Pouf and walked our way out of the palace.

"K-King..." A woman suddenly gets in our way. She had curly black locks and a noticeable purple jewel in the middle of her forehead.

"Let us go...I have no will to fight anymore." I squeezed Mehana's hand a bit. "I just want to stay with Mehana. It is the victory of the human race."

"I must ensure a complete defeat." She narrows her eyes at me. She has doubts about my words. I can only sigh before facing Mehana and then pulling her in by the waist.

"Meruem...?" She stares at me, a light blush on her cheeks. I smiled genuinely before gently brushing my lips against hers. Capturing them perfectly, I let go and turned to the chimera ant before me.

She was stunned, as well as stumped. She didn't consider the possibility of me falling for a human, did she now?

I laugh and stared at her firmly. "Will you let us go now?"

"Let us go. We will die soon anyway. We just want to die together." Mehana sighs.

"...I see." The woman casts her head down before stepping aside. "May you both...be happy, I suppose."

THIRD PERSON

"Look, today's stars are beautiful."

"Mhm..."

"I'm glad we are dying here. The wind feels good and the sight above us is amazing..."

"Mhm..."

"Hey, say something else!"

"Hm?"

"Ugh...you are no fun."

"...heh."

"Hey...is it me or did the stars just disappear?"

"We are losing our sight."

"Oh...and then we will lose our lives, huh. I feel kind of sad, but otherwise, I am quite fine about this."

"Is that so? I feel a bit regretful...I wanted to do more things with you."

"Hmm...you sound cheesy for once but I understand. I wish you were born as a human. Then there wouldn't have been so many problems."

"...I wish the same."

"...Meruem?"

"..."

"Did you just leave before me? How rude. Well...I guess I'm coming...soon...Meruem."

"Me...hana..."

~-•-~

And so, their last words were each other's names. This is the end and beginning of light and warmth; Meruem and Mehana.