☼Seven☼

The furniture in Iroh's apartment looked phenomenal. She had placed the couch against the wall that was adjacent to the front door. She put the small table right in front of it so they could have room for their dining table in the other half of the living room. His apartment still looked a little empty, but it looked homier. 

Sarrin didn't have the time to take in the sight of the new and improved apartment today. She was on a mission, and nothing would stop her. Not even the sight of Iroh wearing nothing but pants would deter her from this mission.

"You're in a hurry," Iroh said, stepping out of the bathroom. Early morning sunlight drifted lazily in through the windows, shining a soft light against her back. "Where are you going?"

"I'm getting a job," she announced with a flourish. 

Iroh nodded. He didn't look as excited as she thought he would be, though. "Okay."

"Why aren't you happy?" she asked, the energetic smile slipping off of her face. "You said that I had to get a job if I wanted to live with you. I'm going to get one today."

His face had gotten very emotionless as he listened to what she said. He stood with his back stiff like a board. It was like he had put on his General facade. She hadn't seen that since she first started living with him, and it had been at least three months since she first moved in. He didn't look as open as he did before. 

"That's good," he said with a curt nod. He stepped back into the bathroom without another word, shutting the door behind him.

Sarrin frowned at the closed door. All of a sudden, he was acting very strange. She didn't know what to think about it. On the one hand, he had told her that she needed to get a job if she stayed with him. She knew the conditions, yet she hadn't gotten a job yet. However, on the other hand, he had given her slack for not getting a job. He always used the excuse that he had enough money to support both of them, and she was making up for not getting a job by cooking and cleaning. 

But she didn't know why he seemed upset when she announced she would get a job. She would still cook and clean for him. She wouldn't be gone for several days without any contact like Jizak would do to her. He wouldn't have to worry about her whereabouts. He didn't need to worry about her.

Sarrin glanced at the bathroom door one more time before exiting his apartment. There was a slight chill in the air that bit at her skin because it was so early in the morning, but she didn't mind. She enjoyed the colder weather. She liked being wrapped up in the softest blankets while watching the snow fall through the frosted glass. However, it didn't snow that much in Republic City. At least, not recently. When she was little, it snowed more often, and she loved it so much. She would always beg her parents to go outside and play in the snow with her. They usually did. 

For some reason, tears pricked her eyes. She hadn't cried about her parents in a long time, so she didn't understand why it felt like she was about to cry over them now. Quickly swiping at her eyes, Sarrin shook her head forcefully. "Don't cry now," she muttered to herself. "That's so unprofessional. You want to get a job, don't you?"

The bottom of the dress swirled in the breeze. She had worn her prettiest dress so she would have a great first impression of whoever was going to be her new boss. Most of the dress was a light blue color, but a slim strip along the torso was dark blue. It wasn't her prettiest dress. She had gotten one from her mother after she died, but Jizak always said it was ugly. Sarrin hadn't ever worn it before because of what he said.

"Sarrin, wait!"

With a frown, she halted her steps and turned around. Iroh ran toward her, his dark hair flying in the breeze. The bright sunlight shone on each metal button on his uniform. His feet hitting the pavement was the only sound in the alley. Well, besides the sound of her heart in her chest. That echoed in her ears, keeping time for her.