☼Thirteen☼

Over the next couple of days, the scraps and bruises on Sarrin's body slowly lost prominence. The black and blue colors had grown dull, and the cuts had closed up and glowed a soft red. Iroh's lips had stopped swelling and the cut on the bottom lip was slowing closing up. Most of his bruises were already gone since he had protected himself more than she had.

Sarrin stood in her room, peering into her closet. She had hung up a few of her most important pieces of clothing. And now she needed one of those pieces of clothing for the banquet tomorrow. Iroh hadn't asked her to go to the banquet with him yet, but she was still going to pick out her outfit. She knew that Iroh would ask her to go, though. He had to. 

Her hands ran over the dresses that were hanging up. Most were bright and colorful because they were for the summertime. It wasn't the summertime now. She had a few dresses that were more for fall and winter, but she didn't want to wear them. None of them matched Iroh's uniform. Except one. One did match, and it was one of her favorite dresses she had ever owned. 

She pulled out her favorite dress. A small smile formed on her face. The soft fabric tickled her palms as she held the dress up toward the light. The base color of it was a light beige and the collar and sleeves and bottom were laced with red string. This was one of her mother's dresses, and it was her favorite. She had another one of her mother's dresses that was a green color, but it wouldn't have matched as this one did. 

Sarrin had a vivid memory of her mother in this beige and red dress. It was right before her parents died, and they were getting ready for one of the winter festivals that Republic City hosted. She and her mother were getting ready together, and she had gotten into that dress. Sarrin could picture her mother so perfectly under the light from the moon. She had twirled in the dress, looking like an angel. 

Sarrin sighed and laid the dress out on her bed. Tears stung her eyes, but she wasn't that embarrassed to cry now. Iroh had told her it was okay to cry. And it was okay to cry. She shouldn't have pushed her feelings down for all those years. It wasn't healthy at all. Iroh showed her that, and she was so grateful for it.

"Are you decent?" Iroh asked outside of her room. He knocked softly on the door.

"Yes. You can come in."

He pushed the door open and stopped short when he saw the dress on her bed. "Are you going somewhere?" he asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

Sarrin shook her head. "No. I'm just . . . looking at my mom's dresses."

Iroh dropped his arms and picked up a corner of the dress. He ran his thumb over the fabric and nodded. "It's beautiful."

"I know," Sarrin said with a smile. She fidgeted with the hem of the dress as she asked, "I was thinking of wearing it to the banquet."

His eyes widened slightly. "I didn't know you were going."

"Yes. I want to go with you." It was silent for a second so she quickly added, "If that's alright with you."

He nodded quickly; he wouldn't look directly into her eyes. "Of course. Yes. That's alright with me."

"Okay."

They stood there awkwardly. His cheeks were a little rosy as he cleared his throat. She looked at him and realized that he wasn't in his uniform. He was wearing nicer civilian clothes. "Reng is coming in about an hour to have dinner with us," he informed her.

"Oh! Why didn't he mention it earlier at work?"

"I just asked him a few minutes ago," Iroh said, pointing to the right where Reng's restaurant was. "He told me that I need to cook dinner for you two because you cook all day, but I'm a little afraid to."