☼Nine☼

They hadn't gotten more customers today than she had expected. Sarrin thought that they would get at least ten customers. They got half that. It was nearing lunchtime, and she hoped more people would come in. She was getting bored in the kitchen.

"How are you doing back here?" Reng asked, hobbling into the kitchen. He had an easy smile on his wrinkled face.

"Is it always this slow during the mornings?" she asked him.

He nodded, his lips pressed into a thin line. "Not lately, but for a few days, not as many people have come by. We used to have a fair amount of customers in the morning as well as in the afternoon, but many of them have passed away."

"How long have you been open?"

"Almost fifty years," Reng said proudly. "I opened this restaurant when this place was still Cranefish Town, it's that old."

Sarrin smiled at him. "That's not old, Reng. It's great."

"You've heard of Cranefish Town?" he asked, surprised. "Most young people have no idea what I'm talking about when I accidentally say it."

"My parents taught me the history of this place and the world," Sarrin explained. Her heart constricted at the mention of her parents, and she didn't know why. "They used to travel the world before they had me. They learned a lot on their travels and told me stories every night before I fell asleep."

"Have they started traveling since you're older now?"

"Oh, um, they're dead."

Reng's bushy eyebrows furrowed up into his thinning hair. His mouth created a small 'O' but it quickly shut. Adam's Apple bobbing, he said, "I didn't know. I'm sorry."

"It's fine." She shrugged and tucked a few locks of her dark hair behind her ear. For some reason, her fingers shook with the effort. "It's been about ten years since they passed."

"That doesn't make it any easier."

Sarrin shook her head. Her throat suddenly started burning, and tears pricked her eyes. She turned away from Reng and said, "No. I was about sixteen when they died. I had to live by myself for a little bit."

"A little bit? Did you move in with another member of your family?"

"Not exactly," Sarrin said, her voice growing bitter. Anger rushed through her at the thought of Jizak. "I met a boy and we moved in together. Ten years later, I realized what type of guy he is."

"Is that why you moved in with Iroh?" Reng asked.

"Yeah."

"How'd you two meet?"

Sarrin laughed. "I stole bread from him."

"Well, that's a great way to meet someone," Reng said, laughing as well. His laughs were hearty and filled with joy. "Iroh is a great man."

Sarrin smiled softly to herself. "He is."

The bell in the front of the store chimed because the door opened. Sarrin could sometimes see who entered, but this time she couldn't. Reng stood in her way. "I better go see who that is," Reng said with a nod to her. "It's probably some customers, so be ready."

"Okay."

Reng disappeared from the kitchen, leaving her all alone. There weren't many windows in the kitchen, so it was pretty dark in there. The walls were painted a light red, adding to the darkness that inhabited them. The darkness entered through her veins, traveling through her heart. The thoughts about her parents didn't sit right in her mind. She felt too alone with her thoughts.