Scared and alone

Carla loves being in control of every situation. This, however, she never saw coming. She admitted that she should have and then she could have prevented it, but she didn't. And now it's too late.

She doesn't know what to do. She usually does or at least she knows who to turn to, but not with this.

She doesn't want to tell her boyfriend, because she doesn't want him to know. She also doesn't care about him like that. Besides, it doesn't even concern him.

She doesn't want to tell her friends, because they wouldn't understand and she doesn't want them to judge her.

She doesn't want to tell her parents, because... well they're her parents. She doesn't know how they'd react and after everything that happened, she's not so sure she wants to find out.

There's one last person that comes to her mind. Samuel. And, eventhough it actually does concern him and she wants to tell him, she knows she can't.

If he knew, she wouldn't be able to stay away and protect him. He wouldn't let her go either and she doesn't actually want him too, but her father's threats are still so fresh in her memories and give her the chills just thinking about it.

A tear rolls down her cheek, something that Carla rarely lets happen. She just feels so scared and alone. She feels out of control and she doesn't know how to change that.

As if by magic, Samuel appeared around the corner. He frowned as he saw her face and rushed towards her. « Are you okay? » he asked her concerned, quickly checking for any visible injuries.

She shook her head and smiled at his thoughtfulness. « I'm fine, I promise. » she reassured him (or herself, she wasn't sure.)

He raised an eyebrow and took her hands in his. He looked into her eyes and said: « you know I'm here for you no matter what, right? »

She nodded, unsure what to do. An inner battle happening in her head. On the one hand, she wanted to tell him everything and let him be there for her. On the other hand, she wanted to protect him from her father and was scared of what could happen.

In the end, her scared and lonely side won out. She looked down at her feet shyly (and very unlike her). « I'm pregnant, » she admitted.

« We're going to have a baby? » he asked her. The quiver in his voice made her look up at him and she was shocked to find him smiling. « I'll admit, the timing might not be great, but it's still great news, right? »

She smiled and nodded, feeling a lot better with his enthousiasm. « I was thinking of moving to London after graduation next month. Would you like to go with me? » she asked him.

She wouldn't blame him if he didn't, but now that they were so close to having the future she knew they'd both dreamt about, she couldn't help but ask.

« Depends, » he said, making her pale instantly scared. « Does that mean you'll be my girlfriend? »

A few more tears ran down her cheeks as she threw herself into his arms. The two talked for the rest of the afternoon, agreeing to keep everything a secret until London.

Carla broke up with Yeray the next day. In the end, it didn't affect his contract with the wineries, not that it mattered much to her anymore.

And just like that, a month later, the two of them left for London to start their new life, as a family. Carla didn't need to worry about her parents anymore and instead focussed on her studies and her new family.

Not long after that, on their wedding day, Samuel promised her she would never feel scared or alone again. He spent the rest of his life making that promise come true.