Insomnia

Ever since Marina died, Carla had been suffering from insomnia. Some nights were worse then others. On some nights she couldn't even close her eyes without having nightmares about Marina, Polo, Christian and later Samuel. On other nights she'd wake up from the nightmares and be unable to fall back asleep.

Lately, most of them featured Samuel. While during the day she could avoid these kinds of thoughts, at night she started to imagine every single possibility of what her father or even Polo could do to him.

Last night had been a particularly bad night. It was currently seven in the morning and she hadn't slept a second yet. She wasn't even tired yet. What she did feel was the start of a massive headache due to the lack of sleep.

She groaned and slowly sat up in her bed. She knew it was no use trying to fall asleep. She quietly got ready for the day, making sure not to wake her parents.

It was Saturday and she didn't really have anything planned, but she also didn't want to stay at home. The lack of sleep seemed to take over her brain as she walked out of her front door.

Mindlessly, she wandered around the streets of Madrid. After half an hour of walking, she looked up and noticed where she was. She sighed tiredly and knocked on the door.

Her brain seemed to be working on autopilot. When the door opened, she got a look of surprise, followed by a small, worried smile.

Silently, Samuel motionned her inside. He must have noticed how tired she looked, because he led her straight to his bedroom.

"Make yourself at home," he spoke up for the first time. "Try to get some sleep? I'll be in the living room if you need anything."

She could almost cry at the kindness he showed her, even after she pushed him away and acted so cold towards him.

Slowly she lay down in the bed, not caring that she was fully dressed. He smiled gently at her and helped her take of her shoes, before tucking her in. Without much thought he leaned in and kissed her forehead. "Sweet dreams," he whispered.

He was about to leave the room when Carla stopped him. "Samuel?" She called out. "Will you lay down with me and hold me, please?" If she hadn't been so out of it, she'd never have let herself be so vulnerable and needy, but at this time she couldn't care less. She just wanted to be held by him.

Without saying a word he walked back towards the bed and laid down beside her. She instantly moved closer to him and rested her head on his chest and one arm around his waist. She sighed in content and almost immidiately fell asleep in the safety of his arms.

That morning, she slept better then she head in weeks, months, maybe even forever.