Chapter 23. A Talk

Kat's POV

"You're moving?" Carey asked Lu. "What's the rush? You just got off probation."

"I know," Lu sighed. "I'm sorry. I just need to be on my own. You don't have to take care of me anymore. You know, as well as I do that, I make your life complicating. Did you forget I'm the reason that Craig left?"

"That wasn't your fault, Lu," Carey said sternly. She sighed and gave Lu a sad smile. "I'm happy for you, hon. You turned out to be a good man far better than Craig," she said. Carey rolled her eyes. "Just... don't forget that this is your home, too, okay?"

Lu smiled. "Yeah, ma, I know." Lu leaned in and pecked her cheek.

Lu wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me from the kitchen.

We stopped at the front door and put our shoes on. Lu handed me my backpack, and I slung it over my shoulder. School would be over for us in two months. Lu was a senior, and I had one more year to go.

Lu backed the car out of the driveway. "She took it better than I thought she would."

I stared off out the wind and nodded in understanding.

"You're quiet," he commented.

I sighed. "I know. I'm sorry. I was thinking about my mom and my grandma. I miss my grandma. I think I'm going to go home tonight and talk to them. I thought about what you said, and I think you were right. I need to talk to them. Besides, it would be nice to know how long she is staying."

"I think that is a good idea. I'll drop you off after school," he said.

"Let me know how things go at the bank?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said. "I just hope they approve me. I don't want to rent an apartment," he made a disgusted face.

I snorted. "With the money you have, you could just buy a house outright."

"No, kitty-kat, I can't. If I did that, I would have the IRS all up my ass, and no thank you."

I threw my head back and laughed. "You better start making legitimate money then," I said.

"I do," he huffed. "I'm going to start up some other shit too, though. I just have to give it time, so it doesn't seem like I made cash poof out of thin air. They gave me a loan for the truck, so my credit is pretty good."

"I'm sure they'll give it to you, babe," I said.

We pulled up to the school and headed inside. The hallways were still filled with students. I kissed Lu before heading to my locker.

"Oh, I love me a redhead," someone said and whistled.

I turned to see Jax staring at Piper. Piper flipped Jax off.

"Oh, baby, come on. Don't break my heart like that," Jax said and chuckled.

"Walk to class with me?" Piper asked. She leaned against a locker beside mine.

I chuckled and nodded. "Sure. What's with him?"

Piper snorted. "Beats the hell out of me. I was down at the beach last night, and he saw me in my swimsuit. He hasn't stopped whistling at me since. Jax is a total perve."

"I won't even argue. Of all Lu's friends... Jax is like my pet peeve. He's sort of funny at times but that arrogance...ugh." I shook my head.

Piper laughed. "You aren't kidding." Piper looped her arm in mine, and we headed off to class together.

***

Lu parked in my driveway and took a deep breath. "You sure about this?" he asked. He turned to look at me with concern.