Chapter 1. To Grandmother's House, I Go

Kat's POV

Starting over wasn't easy, and this was the second time that I had to do it. For most of my life, I lived in New York City with my dad. I moved to Atlanta, Georgia, when I was sixteen. I spent a year there with my mother and her husband. However, I could no longer stay in Atlanta, so I was off to San Diego, California, to live with my Grandma Donna. I hadn't seen her since I was four years old. 

As I was boarding the plane, tears filled my eyes. I swallowed hard to fight them back down. I was afraid of almost nothing, not even death. Sometimes I wished life would be kind for once and take me out of this world; it would be easier.

I was looking at a long plane ride, so I took out my notebook and started to write. I loved writing. I wrote poems, romance, and scary stories. Maybe California won't be so bad. The only person I will know is my grandmother, though, and I barely know her.

After writing a couple of chapters, I decided to get some sleep. Plane rides were boring. Hopefully, when I wake up, I'll be in California. It was a five-hour flight, and I survived two hours already.

***

Once I got off the plane, I grabbed my bags and started to wander the big airport. My grandmother said she would be here. After walking around mindlessly for fifteen minutes, I found an older lady holding up a sign with my name on it. 

Her hair was cropped short, and it was grey. She had on thick glasses, which made her eyes appear bigger than they were. She was dressed in modern clothes considering her age, which, in a sense, reminded me of my mother. She was about the same height and build as I was.

"Grandma?" I asked as I approached her.

She smiled warmly at me. "Hi, sweetie. Wow, look at you all grown up!"

I smiled back at her. "It's good to see you."

"You too," she said. She leaned forward and gave me a one-armed hug. She pecked my cheek and took one of my bags from me. 

"Grandma, I can carry that. It's kind of heavy," I said.

She laughed quietly as she picked it up. She turned around and strolled toward the front entrance. I followed after her, staring at her in awe. My grandma may be old, but she is tough. We put the bags in the trunk of her Chevy Impala. It was a sleek black with tinted windows. 

"Nice car," I said. 

She smiled as we climbed into the car. "I'm glad you like it because I'm giving it to you. I just picked up my new Equinox today."

I was utterly taken aback. "Y-you're giving me a c-car?" 

"Yes, well, I've had this one for like a year. It's getting hard on my knees, getting in and out of it. It was brand new though I've only put twenty thousand miles on it. It has a start up on the key fob, which is nice when it's cold or hot. You can adjust the temperature in the car on the fob too. It has heated and air conditioning in the seats too. I'm going to miss that part makes my butt nice and warm." She chuckled.

I laughed and shook my head. 

The had a sunroof, BlueTooth stereo, and it is immaculate. There isn't a single tear in the black leather seats. It was hard to believe she was just giving it to me. 

"Wow, Grandma. Thank you so much. You know, you could have got me a cheaper car. I would be happy having a car at all," I told her. I never had my own car.

"It's no problem," she said and smiled. "I'd like to make all this moving around easier on you." Her voice sounded sad.

 I tried not to tear up as I smiled appreciatively. "Thank you." Maybe California won't be so bad after all.