Chapter 1~ How he dropped his broom

Nick's POV
Tuesday
38 days left
I picked up some flowers from a store just a few blocks down from the hospital. They were for my sister, she was in a coma. It hasn't been for too long, and it isn't supposed to go on to long, but that didn't mean I wasn't afraid for her. I quickly paid the price and walked the remaining blocks to the hospital she was in. I quickened my pace once I saw the hospital. I stopped at the front desk, barely even seeing the woman in front of me, I groaned silently in disgust. Her shirt was pulled down way to low, and she had way to much make-up on. I already had a visitors pass from an hour ago, so I held it up in evidence that I could just go. She waved me away when she saw I wasn't interested in her. So I walked up to the hospital room I knew she was in.

Ella was in a pretty quiet section of the hospital, the small section of rooms belonged to those in a coma. And as far as I could tell no one else was. I walked quietly into her room, even though the volume didn't matter I was still quiet. She had been hit by a semi in wolf form. She was sent here because our pack doctor had recommended a human hospital over own, for fear of an attack of our pack.

She looked so peaceful, her hands crossed, and her eyes closed. Her hair was nicely combed out, blonde waves over her pillow. I put her flowers in the vase on her bedside table. There were get well balloons and cards all over from our pack. It was lively and just waiting for her to wake up. I sat down in the chair next to her bed.
"Ella, I miss you. I can't wait till you wake up. The doctors says you'll wake up in a week or two. All the little kids you watched for their mothers miss you. We all want you to wake up. Even Adam seemed to miss your daily banters with each other." I laughed to myself at the last part.

After about a half hour of straight talking with her, I got up to leave the room. As I opened the door, I must have accidentally hit someone with it. I rush out to apologize to who ever it was. I run out to see a janitor, the door must have hit him, causing him to drop his broom. He was about twenty two, with shaggy light brown hair, he was skinny, and dull blue eyes, on his uniform his name read, Noah. He picks it up, and looks at me.

"Sorry dude. I wasn't watching where I was sweeping." He grumbles to himself. I sniffed the air, he was a werewolf, a weak one. He didn't belong to my pack strangely enough.

"What pack do you belong to?" I ask him. He looks at me questionably then nods to himself.

"Evergreen Pack." He tells me, and continues to sweep.

"That your sister in there?" He asks me, nodding towards the door that I just came out of.

"Yes. She's in a coma." I respond.

"Ah, such a shame. I'm sorry for what you've been through. Did you know there's only one other coma patient here?" He asks me. I look at him questionably, I had no idea.

"No, I didn't." I respond. He looked at me, an emotion I couldn't catch flashed through his eyes.

"Yeah. She's over in 356A across the hall. It's a shame, no one knows who she is." He tells me, sorrow in his voice.

"Really? No one claims her?" I ask. He continues sweeping the exact same part of the floor.

"Nope. And her time is running out." He tells me.

"What do you mean? Her time is running out?" I ask him.

"This hospital has a rule. For Jane and John Does, if they've been here a year, with no one claiming them, and them not waking up, they pull the plug. And they die. This is the end of her tenth month." He says somberly.

"Just like that?" I ask angrily. That was depressing. They could still get better.

"Yeah." He tells me and walks away.